SBS Australia
Sometimes the shock isn’t the country. It’s the people.
Lachelle came here for a friend, then discovered she wasn’t truly welcome.
Front Up | Watch on SBS On Demand - https://bit.ly/44UjYTN
====
Alex Mcgrare
·
More to the story than this?!
Reply
Arthur Dadalias
·
Treat people like people , great advice.
Reply
Aaron Joass
·
Mihaela Ella Bozic-Colla this is from a sbs Street talk show in the 90s called Upfront. Country Australia can be quite a culture shock & foreign people often don't get the sarcastic humor. Americans can also be quite defensive opinionated and allowed to be living with 😊
Reply
Chris Senior
·
This woman was born to become an Australian. She’s nailed the accent, the idiom and the mindset quite spectacularly. None of which is mandatory to be an Aussie, but gee it’s heartwarming to see someone so all in. I hope we’ve kept up our end of the bargain.
Reply
Maree Watt
·
Chris Senior agreed. What a wonderful gift she is to our country 🇦🇺
Reply
Terry Plumbing
·
Chris Senior Well said.
Reply
Renette Burgess
·
Chris Senior I thought the same thing and she sounds more Aussie than some Aussies!
Reply
Colin Parkinson
·
Chris Senior That’s an interesting take on her racist experience 😂
Reply
Craig Arendse
·
Chris Senior nothing about the racism just she’s good sounds like us?
Reply
Dale Buck
·
Chris Senior She fits the caricature lol
Reply
Natasha Waller
·
I can not express how much this disappoints me. I know I’m not alone when I say I take people for how they are as a person. I find it almost laughable if I knew it didn’t hurt people.,, it’s skin colour. 🙄
What a gem of a positive person to have in Australia.
Reply
Edited
Simon Thompson
·
She's still here. This was posted on the SBS page months ago, I commented, she responded. I truely think she's an amazing person. Good on her for sticking it out, even in the face of that incident.
By the way. We need more Vox Pop on TV. This is the sort of bare bones content that draws from the real lived experience.
Reply
Jason Frendo
·
You dug deep into the archives for this one SBS, this interview has to be from the 90's. She said she was born in the 60's making this woman in her 50's/60's now, yet she looks in her 30's during this interview.
Reply
Te Wharerangi Jack Mihinui
·
Something incredibly likeable about that person.
I’d hire her on the spot.
Reply
Liz D'Avoine
·
Country folk are often less accepting of “outsiders”.
Reply
Jess Dean
·
Wonder what year this was filmed.
Reply
Bahjat Tabbara
·
My advice is that for adults, casual racism is a common Australian thing, but to be fair, it's the same in the UK and other English-speaking societies, just deal with it and move on. On the other hand, when it comes to youth, it can be tricky, especially when it comes to school and the environment that they are in, to which one needs to be diligent.
Reply
Невена Татић-Карајовић
·
I used to live in Australia. I was very surprised to see a lot of racism from Aussie (English) towards newcomers. I newer thought that is possible. I thought everyone live happily together over there.
Reply
Angela Seeneevassin
·
Very intelligent and eloquent speaker .Pauline could learn from her
Reply
Katharina Empunkt
·
Never gets old..
Reply
Jackie Lam
·
I was in Australia for a conference; walking down the main street of Adelaide at 7pm - had eggs thrown at me from a car of 4 boys, complete with them yelling out racist slurs. Racism is very alive and well in Aus.
Reply
Tate Ryan
·
I used to never miss an episode of this during my high school years. It was probably my favourite show. I was fascinated learning about how other people lived.
Reply
Dorreen Bana
·
I’ve experienced it too 🥺
Reply
Debra Williams
·
I could say the same , one night at a tavern in Illinois got told straight to my face they hated aliens happens all over that happen over 20 years ago
Reply
Edited
Emma Buhse
·
What a legend ahead of the times. I hope you stuck around.
Reply
Michael Sutcliffe
·
I love that her accent even has a bit of Australian in it now
Reply
Ginny Cutler
·
I’ll take things that never happened
Reply
Rea Murph
·
Sometimes? Im sure its all the time
Reply
Sara Pickles
·
Is this AI set in the 60's? Ha ha
Reply
Richie Donohoe
·
Great show... The host is amazing at getting people to tell their story..great concept..
Reply
Ahmed Abdelrehim
·
What a lovely personality, SBS, find this lady and interview her please, it would be fantastic then and now 😍
Reply
Jennifer Dyster
·
Interesting. And sadly not surprising . Its a pity things arent documented proerly like when was the interview done and by whom 9
Reply
Valerie Waggles
·
What an incredible intelligent & principled woman! Thank you for sharing. I lived in Australia & loved it there, & even became a citizen. People are generally awesome, but there are issues with racism. 37 years later, I returned to Aotearoa & I am finding there are similar racist attitudes here. Such a shame. I think we should rise above all that silliness & just enjoy the blessed countries we live in, and appreciate & embrace our differences. Life is much more fun that way. ❤️🌹🥰
Reply
Kelsey Anderson
·
I love her accent! Reminds me of mine coming back from a year living in Canada. Australian with just a twang here and there
Reply
Laurel Elliott
·
Interesting story! This was in the ‘80s or ‘90s, I take it(?)
Hope the rest of their life is good.
Reply
Claire Bennett
·
She's awesome and has adopted her accent so well. I am kiwi, love living here but have to say that racism is stronger here than where I have come from. I found it quite shocking. People have no idea that they are actually racist or being racist because it's acceptable? I am not sure of the reason? Not all though, so we gravitate to all the others 😁
Reply
Shay Johnson
·
She sounds SO Aussie, more than some Aussies lol it’s cute!
Reply
Juliana Bee
·
She turned Aussie really quickly. Loved hearing her speak
Reply
Elizabeth Goodare
·
That’s only one family it’s not all Australians view point please remember that!
Reply
Fliss Patrick
·
Never really realized just how racist Australia was until I moved away…. Not saying it is a bad country but like a lot of countries it is there…
Reply
Janey Dyson
·
I'm English came here in 1981 experienced the same sort of attitude from some Aussies
Reply
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기