2026년 7월 20일 월요일

민진 리가 우리에게 보기를 원하는 것 | The New Yorker 2022

What Min Jin Lee Wants Us to See | The New Yorker

The New Yorker Interview
What Min Jin Lee Wants Us to See

The author of “Pachinko” and “Free Food for Millionaires” discusses her research process, her memories of arriving in America, and why she reads the Bible before writing.
By Michael LuoFebruary 17, 2022

Photographs by Andrew Kung for The New Yorker

The author Min Jin Lee lives in a four-story town house in Harlem that she and her husband purchased in 2012. A creaking wooden staircase runs up its spine, leading to Lee’s research library, on the top floor, where she works. It is a compact, sunlit room, with a couch, a pair of desks, and a wall of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves. Before my visit, on a recent Monday morning, she had made sure to tidy up the room, but had left out a stack of books—some research materials for her third novel, “American Hagwon.” (The Korean word hagwon refers to a type of private enrichment school that is ubiquitous in Korean communities around the world.) They were mostly academic works about education and its centrality in Korean communities; some titles included “Koreatowns,” “Education Fever,” and “The Asian American Achievement Paradox.”

Lee is a prodigious, inveterate researcher, who takes a journalistic approach to writing her novels. She is about halfway through a draft of “American Hagwon,” and so far has interviewed more than seventy-five college students of Korean descent. For her two previous novels, “Free Food for Millionaires,” from 2007, and “Pachinko,” a 2017 finalist for the National Book Award for fiction, she filled more than ten Bankers Boxes with interview notes and other background material.



Yet Lee’s writing does not feel overstuffed with facts. A defining quality of her novels is their propulsiveness. When I revisited them recently, I found myself immediately drawn in, much like the first time I read them, towed along by her intimately drawn characters and tightly cinched plotlines. Lee’s gift is her ability to write sweeping, magisterial books that take on ponderous political themes––the Korean diasporic experience, the invisibility of marginalized groups in history, the limits of assimilation––and to make their unhurried, quiet intrigues read like thrillers.



Lee describes herself as a late bloomer. She immigrated to the United States from Seoul, at the age of seven. Her family settled in Elmhurst, Queens, and her parents ran a wholesale jewelry store in Manhattan’s Koreatown, where they worked six days a week, until they retired. She attended the Bronx High School of Science, studied history at Yale, and then went to Georgetown Law. After working for two years as a corporate lawyer, she quit, in 1995, and decided to become a novelist.

In 2001, Lee started writing “Free Food for Millionaires,” about a brooding daughter of Korean immigrants struggling to make her way in the louche world of high finance in Manhattan. When it was finally published, six years later, it became a national best-seller. Lee labored for two decades on “Pachinko,” an epic saga that follows four generations of a Korean family through poverty, humiliation, and tragedy in Japan. In 2018, Apple announced that it would turn “Pachinko” into a television drama, and that Lee would serve as an executive producer. The eight-episode series will première on March 25th. But, for reasons that Lee declined to disclose to me, she is no longer involved in the production of the show. Among Lee’s latest projects is an introduction to Penguin Classics’ new edition of “The Great Gatsby”—a novel that, she writes, “called out to me, a girl who lived in the valley of ashes.”

Lee has a warm, motherly demeanor––she texted before my visit to warn me that it was icy outside––but also an unflinching bluntness. She has become increasingly vocal, during the pandemic and amid the rise in violence against people of Asian descent, as an advocate for Asian Americans. During our conversation, which lasted more than two hours and continued over e-mail, we talked about her experiences as an immigrant, her books, and her willingness to be “extra Asian” these days. Our conversation has been condensed and edited.

Your books are about the Korean diasporic experience. What do you remember about first arriving in the United States?

I think when I first came here I was really disappointed, because I thought in my mind that America would be like “Cinderella.” I thought that I would get off the airplane and somehow the airport would be like a seventeenth-century fairy tale. I thought that people would be wearing ball gowns. I thought there would be stagecoaches. That’s how stupid I was. And then I realized that it looks just like Seoul, except with non-Korean people. I remember thinking it was so ugly. I lived in such an ugly little hovel. This is a funny thing about not having money: people think that if you don’t have money that you’re O.K. with the ugliness, but I remember how ugly the apartment we were living in was. There was an orange shag rug, which was dirty. We had come from a perfectly decent middle-class house in Korea. My mother was a piano teacher; my father was a white-collar executive at a cosmetics company. I remember thinking, Oh, we came down in the world. Even as a little girl, I knew that there was something wrong.

I remember I had to share the bed with my younger sister. My older sister was on the top [bunk]. And there were mice and roaches. It was so scary for me to see all that stuff. I remember we were at a free-lunch program, and I knew there was something different when you got a free lunch versus other people. Things improved for us gradually. I think that my family is embarrassed when I talk about this, but I talk about it because my interviewees routinely talk about the shame of it, and I think if they know that I went through it, then they feel like, Oh, it’s not the worst thing in the world.

How did it get better?

My father ran a newspaper stand first. As a child, I thought that was quite glamorous, because of all this candy. He did it for a year. He really spruced that up. My mother must have gone through fourteen bottles of Windex cleaning it. And then after he got rid of that, he owned a tiny wholesale jewelry store—again, not in any way beautiful, or nice, or elegant. But they just saved and saved, and eventually they moved to New Jersey, in 1985. They bought a house and they moved to the promised land of Bergen County.


Video From The New Yorker

Unearthing Black History at the Freedom Lots




There’s a line in “Free Food for Millionaires” in which you write that the protagonist, Casey Han, feels that, although she went to Princeton, she was “not of Princeton.” Did you feel that way about your college experience?

Yes. My peers were so much better trained for Yale than I was. I went to Bronx Science, and I did really well for the rubric of Bronx Science, which is exams, short answers. And then I went to college and there are these kids who went to private schools, who wrote such beautiful papers, and they were so elegant in the way they spoke about things, and they’ve been everywhere. I felt like a rube. I wasn’t angry at them, because they’re perfectly nice kids. They just had more than I did in terms of this sort of sophistication and poise and ease. I remember thinking, O.K., well, I’m a tough kid from New York, and I’m fine. But I definitely felt outclassed.

You majored in history, but I read that you struggled a bit in writing classes.

I didn’t do that well in college. I took too many classes. I didn’t approach it like, Oh, you’re supposed to get a good G.P.A. to get into a good grad school. I thought I was supposed to get as much knowledge as humanly possible. Anyway, I took a lot of classes I shouldn’t have taken. But then—this is the weird part—the English department had these prizes, and I ended up winning the top prize for nonfiction and the top prize for fiction in my junior and my senior year, respectively. So, even if my grades weren’t that great, I ended up getting these prizes, which meant that whoever the readers were, in the English department, thought that I had something, and I remember thinking, Oh, I’m not a writer, but maybe I know how to say something.


What gave you the belief that you could be a writer?

In 1995, I thought, Being a lawyer is really too hard. I can’t keep doing this. I also had this liver disease. I’m actually really, really well now, because I had very serious intervening medication, which I was able to afford through health insurance. I was a chronic hepatitis-B carrier, and my doctor had told me in college that I would get liver cancer in my twenties or thirties. A part of me always felt like death was chasing me. I got married really young. I felt like I had to get all this done. I didn’t feel terrified of quitting being a lawyer, because I felt like, Well, if I’m dead, I’m going to write this book and then I’ll be fine. But, of course, that didn’t happen. It didn’t happen for fucking eleven years.

It was the fear of death that led you to writing?

I’m not going to live long, so I might as well do something that matters to me.

It wasn’t an easy path after you quit.

I don’t recommend it to anybody.

What were those years like?

Really depressing. I think it was humiliating because I’m so proud. I wanted to write––O.K., you’ll laugh at me––I wanted to write a great, great novel. I wanted to write something that people would read years and years later.

You took fiction-writing classes at places like the 92nd Street Y and Gotham Writers Workshop. There must have been so many dreamers in those classes. Why do you think you succeeded?

Well, I’ll give you a counterexample. I took a two-hundred-dollar class at the Asian American Writers’ Workshop, and my class was taught by a person named Jhumpa Lahiri, before she won the Pulitzer Prize, and in that class was Cathy Park Hong, Lisa Ko, and Ed Lin. So, is it possible to meet other people who are very, very serious about what you do? Yes, and it’s an extraordinary opportunity to meet other writers who care as much as you care.

That said, the other classes that I took—a lot of them were filled with retirees. A lot of them were filled with people who were processing things.

I know that you start your books with a thesis statement. In “Free Food for Millionaires,” the opening line is “Competence can be a curse.” What did you mean by that?

I think this happens to a lot of high-functioning people. We think that we can do everything, and in our process of doing everything we don’t do the thing that matters the most. We don’t do the things that take the greatest risk, because we are so competent. And often we’re overtaxed by our competence, and we don’t know that.

Were you trying to say anything about Asian Americans with that line?

Yes, I think so, because I think Asian Americans have a model-minority myth, in which we are perceived as highly competent. Obviously, because I’m Asian American, I know many incompetent Asian Americans. [Laughs.] I write about them, and I love them. I’m incompetent when it comes to many things. Like I don’t know how to drive, like I failed the bar. There’s so many things I can’t do well. I am commenting on the model-minority myth with that statement.



Were you trying to say something about assimilation in “Free Food for Millionaires”?

Absolutely, because I think the assimilation philosophy is that you assimilate in order to achieve a certain goal, and that goal is economic stability and security. I think that that goal makes sense, but I believe that goal is deeply unsatisfying to everybody eventually. If you think about the first generation, we have to survive. We have to get the basic things—you know, food, shelter, clothing, stability. That makes a lot of sense.

The real disconnect is between the first and second or third generation, especially if the second or third generation has done sufficiently well. We’re not interested in just survival anymore. We’re interested in meaning, and that quest for meaning has just as many difficulties, if not more intangible difficulties, than just survival.

So, very often the first generation and the second generation are at conflict because they’re going, like, Well, why aren’t you happy? You have everything. And they’re, like, No, no, no, I have nothing if I don’t have meaning and purpose. And that gap can seem like an ocean or a puddle of water, depending upon who you talk to.

And what I see with my students, even in 2022, is just how much even second-generation parents who have achieved economic stability are internalizing the messages of the first generation, and cannot communicate to the third generation or the fourth generation. So I have students who are feeling, like, Well, I would like to be a photographer, or grow organic mushrooms if I want. Like, these things have value and meaning, and yet their parents are going, “Are you crazy? You’re going to stop being a C.S. major for this?”

There was a line in “Free Food for Millionaires,” when Casey Han breaks up with her white boyfriend, Jay Currie, in which you write that Jay, in his “unyielding American optimism, refused to see that she came from a culture where good intentions and clear thought wouldn’t cover all wounds. It didn’t work that way with her parents, anyway. They were broken-hearted Koreans––that wasn’t Jay’s fault, but how was he supposed to understand their kind of anguish? Their sadness seemed ancient to her.” What were you trying to say there?

I think there are so many well-intentioned people who don’t have your experience. They don’t mean to hurt you, and they don’t mean to hurt you by their sunniness. I admire it so much, and I need it around me. However, there is a racial and a cultural component that we can’t forget, as well as a class component. If you grew up poor, undesired, in many ways despised and different, and unable to see another way out, and you meet another person, even though they’re trying to help you, even though their strategies for survival have worked for them, they don’t understand that it may not work for your community. And even though Casey can perform, and has an ability to be around that world, it doesn’t mean that she’s at ease with it.


There’s a really ugly opening scene in the book in which Casey’s father hits her in the face. Why did you write about that?

There’s so much domestic violence in our communities that we don’t talk about for fear of harming our families or our culture, and I don’t think it is going to get better unless we talk about it. Also, just because someone hits you, it doesn’t mean that the person is evil. That’s a very controversial thing that I’m saying, but I’m going to say it because we have all felt violence in our hearts. Some of us have acted on it, and some of us have not. So part of my job is to see it in narrative, and so I put it there. But the statistics of domestic violence for our communities of color are really quite shocking.

Physical discipline of children, in particular, is common.

It’s quite normal. I’ve actually interviewed many Koreans who’ve had to contact social services when they’re growing up because of it, or gone to shelters as a result.

The Korean American church is a big motif in “Free Food for Millionaires.” What was the role of the church in your upbringing?

I was born in the church, raised in the church. Church is part of my life, and I’ve gone to Korean churches and Western churches. I go to church every Sunday even now, and that’s really strange in my community as an artist. I was at a Christmas party, a very literary party. It was kind of one of those drop-in things, and they said, “Well, where are you going now?” And I said, “I’m going to go to church,” because I was going to some evening service. They couldn’t believe it. They started laughing, and they didn’t mean to laugh, but they thought it was so preposterous that I was going to church. I was, like, “It’s Christmas and I’m going to church.” But I felt really ashamed, like, What did I do to make people think that it was impossible for me to go to church? It must be because I don’t stop swearing. But my grandfather was a Presbyterian minister. He went to seminary in Pyongyang, as well as in Japan. He ended up becoming a headmaster of a school for repatriated Korean orphans from Japan, after Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He was a pillar of his community. And then my mother and father, when we first came here, we went to the Newtown Presbyterian Church in Elmhurst, Queens. We went to a Western church.

Oh, that’s interesting.

Yes. We didn’t go to a Korean church. My parents really wanted us to learn how to speak English. Back then, in 1976, there were very few Koreans where we lived. Queens, when we think about it, it’s all these Koreans, but I grew up in Elmhurst, and then in Maspeth, before my parents went to New Jersey, and there were almost no Koreans. It was mostly white ethnic immigrants—Polish, Czech, Russian. Maybe a South Asian person here and there, but very few Koreans. A lot of Latinos, like Dominican, Puerto Rican, and there were also African Americans and Caribbean Americans.


Why do you think religion stayed with you? So many second-generation Korean Americans who grew up in the church have fallen away from the church, and it’s no longer part of their lives.

I’m deeply interested in God as the creator and God as an active force in the world, or inactive force. I understand if people feel Christianity is repugnant to them. I understand if people feel like the way certain Christians behave is horrible. There is that line from, I think, Chesterton: “What’s the best reason for not being a Christian? Christians.” And I get it because I’m horrified by some of the behaviors of Christians in the world.

You’ve talked about how you have a practice of reading a chapter from the Bible every day. Do you do that before you start writing?

I do.

What do you get out of that process?

When I first quit being a lawyer, in 1995, I was reading the F.T., the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal before I started writing. It didn’t turn out very well. I was, like, I need another ritual. I read that Willa Cather read a chapter of the Bible every day. I was really inspired, because I think her prose is so sturdy. I was, like, O.K., I’m going to read the Bible. I would read a chapter, and then I’d do my work. Gradually, I started to read the chapter and I realized that there were things I didn’t understand, and some of it was dreadfully boring. You have some people who just open the Bible and read whatever. I didn’t do that. I approached it the way I approach everything: I turn the page, like Robert Caro. I turn every single freaking page. So I bought a New International Version study Bible. They have commentaries below it. I’ll show you. [Takes out a well-thumbed, large-print Bible.] I will read let’s say—like, today was Psalm 113. So I’ll read the entire thing. And then I will read all of the commentaries twice, and then I’ll read it again. It’s really weird.

You’re making notes too . . .

Oh, my gosh, yes. I mean, it’s non-stop. And then I also keep a journal. It is like listening to God. It’s kind of like listening to a book. I’m overhearing the thoughts of God. There is this existential idea, which I appreciate, of listening to an author think, and, in this case, the author who inspired the men who wrote the Bible.

I also pray. I pray for inspiration and also to somehow stay in what I’m doing, because I find it so hard.

“The real disconnect is between the first and second or third generation,” Lee says. “We’re not interested in just survival anymore. We’re interested in meaning.”


I read that you chose Casey Han’s name from someone you came across in the Times’ “Portraits of Grief” series.

This is right behind you, if you turn around. [Points to a newspaper clipping on a bookshelf.]

Oh, wow.

It’s Casey Cho, that’s her. I read that obituary. On 9/11, I lived downtown. We had to move. I was really depressed because all these people had died in my back yard. I couldn’t read the paper. I couldn’t function very well. I read the obituary, and I saw this Asian face, and then she had this Korean name and I thought, That’s incredible. She was adorable, and her background just sort of spoke to me, and I thought, Oh, I’m going to name my main character after her.

So it’s obviously not her—I don’t know who she is, I don’t know her family, I don’t know anything. But I love this idea of her name being Casey. And han, of course, is that word which, if I had to give a direct translation, is the inexpressible anguish of a person tied to this country, Korea, of all the oppression and dislocation.

The title of your book “Free Food for Millionaires” comes from a scene in which investment bankers receive free lunch after closing a deal.

I was making the ironic comment, “Why do we give millionaires free food? Why do the rich get all the goodies?” But the real thing that I was trying to argue was that we’re all really millionaires because we are given this grace, this unmerited favor of gifts and talents. So every character has a kind of extraordinary gift. Nobody’s actually poor if you really know what your gifts are, and that’s a life’s journey, right?

After “Free Food for Millionaires,” it took another decade before “Pachinko” was published. Part of the reason it took so long, as I understand it, is you have a really extensive research process. Can you tell me about that?

I read secondary material. I read academic material. I read scholarship. And then I also do numerous interviews of experts and the subjects. So, for example, there’s an undocumented story line in my next novel. I have been interviewing undocumented Koreans.

While researching “Free Food for Millionaires,” you took a class at Harvard Business School?

I interviewed all these people who went to H.B.S., and they said, “Have you been there?” And I said, “No, I haven’t. How do I go visit?” And they said, “It’s easy—pretend to apply.” I spent an entire day taking a class, listening to the welcoming session. And I took an entire semester of millinery [at the Fashion Institute of Technology] because Casey is a milliner.

How does all of this research translate to the page?

The answer is confidence. It’s the confidence I don’t have when I begin something. I have so much insecurity about the stuff that I don’t know, and by the time I finish my research I’m, like, Bring it.

It’s almost like you imbibe it so that you can then write it.

Yes. I imbibe it. I swim in it, and also I fall in love with it. I fall in love with my characters.

Your opening line in “Pachinko”—your thesis statement—is “History has failed us, but no matter.” What did you mean by that?

On a top level, I was arguing that the discipline of history, obviously, and history as a general rule has failed poor people and people who don’t have a voice. But, even more so, I was asserting that it doesn’t matter, that the people in charge are knuckleheads because regular people, ordinary people, have resisted and survived and done a lot of work-arounds.

It was specifically very important for me with the Koreans in Japan because I started out in the position of, “Oh, these are poor victims who’ve been oppressed by colonialism and how horrible.” And that’s all true, but they didn’t see it that way, and they told me, “You’re wrong.” And I was, like, “Well, O.K., how am I wrong?” When you hang out with them, you realize they’re quite––the word in Japanese––is they’re very genki. They’re very sturdy and strong. So I thought, Oh, well, where did that come from? And I realized it’s kind of like what Hemingway says about being broken, right? You’re stronger when you’re broken.

“Pachinko” follows four generations of a poor Korean family from a boarding house in Japanese-occupied Korea to Japan, where Koreans are discriminated against. Why did you focus on this passage of history in particular, one that most American readers know little about?

I mean, truly, can you think of any other subject that people could care less about? But I thought, It means so much to me.

I read that you first encountered the subject of ethnic Koreans in Japan during a lecture you happened to attend at Yale.

Yes. I was nineteen or twenty. Harry Adams, who was the master of Trumbull College, said, “Do you want to come to this tea? This missionary from Japan is coming.” And so this nice white guy, who helped poor Koreans in Japan, came and gave a talk. There were about two of us in the entire room, and I couldn’t leave. He told the story about, I guess, one of his parishioners, this little Korean boy who had been bullied by the Japanese kids that he went to school with, and he committed suicide. It changed my life, because I couldn’t stop thinking about this kid being bullied so hard that he had to jump off the building. It was so distressing to me. And, also, these are people of the same race; he was born in Japan. I had to do something about that.

Much of the tension over immigration in America is over racial difference. In Japan, hostilities exist within the same race. What is your understanding of the difference between anti-immigrant sentiments in the two countries?

They’re very similar. Very often, it comes from economic insecurity, anxiety, and the inability to compete, right? So, as globalization and economic forces [drive] changes around the world, you often have to find scapegoats. Throughout history, we see this. In Europe during the twentieth century, Jews were persecuted and scapegoated. I think in colonialism we have to figure out, how do you justify that these people can be treated this way? And very often it’s economics plus hatred. It’s both. It’s very often both. Nothing is only one or the other.


In “Pachinko,” there are also, obviously, parallels that can be drawn to the way America treats its immigrants. Were you consciously trying to expose these issues to readers?

I think, initially, I was very arch, and I wanted to teach these things. I was really angry. I was, like, “Pay attention to this. This is terrible. Notice this.” But then I realized there’s a lot of terrible things happening every day. How do I make people care? I realized I have to figure out another way. Learning how to write stories is really different from writing the facts. I’ve thought about this a lot. Every day is chaos, right? How do I create cosmos? How do I get you to change your mind? That’s going to require you to feel something.

You’re at work on your third novel, “American Hagwon,” and you have said that this is part of a trilogy and that the linkage between them is the diaspora experience of Koreans. What interests you about that?

I’m interested in the formation of modern Koreans. I’m trying to figure out, what does that modern Korean care about more than anything? In all of my travels, I’ve been asking people, and the thing that really comes up over and over again is education. So I was thinking, Well, that’s kind of a big topic, right? I’ve never met a Korean anywhere—like a Korean from Brazil or Canada—who doesn’t have very strong feelings about education, so I’m writing about that.

You wrote the introduction for the new edition of “The Great Gatsby” by Penguin Classics. What made you want to take this on?

“Gatsby” is this iconic book that is foisted upon pretty much every high-school or college young person as the primary American text. I felt that it was a real honor for me to be able to take it on. And then, in my intellectual vanity, I want to tell people how to read “Gatsby.” So I spent the energy justifying why I was right in saying those things. That’s why my ninety-one footnotes are there, because I needed backup. And I wanted the reader to know that this is a book about white people. It’s a great book about white people. But it’s not about all people. And it’s about one white man writing about specifically one white woman, and that love was a toxic love between two white people. Why do I say that? Because very often we are told that Americans are this. What they’re really meaning to say is white Americans are this. And me being able to say Korean Americans are that, or Puerto Rican Americans are that, is not in any way taking away from “Gatsby.” It’s just saying they’re different. So, I could really adore “The Great Gatsby,” and I do. I spent three months of my life talking about it. But I’m also going to say that it’s not everybody’s story at that time. Do I think we should read it? Yes. Do I think that it defines the American experience? I want to add a footnote. Using whatever little power that I have to say “hang on, there’s more” doesn’t mean that I’m kicking him off the shelf. I’m just saying, “Let’s reconsider the classic, with its flaws and its limitations.” And that’s why I spent that energy on it.


Do you think a book can be limited in its point of view, or in its depictions of race, but not necessarily be only about white people?

The book is about young white Americans who hail from outside of élite Northeast circles—Gatsby, from North Dakota; Nick, from Minnesota; Daisy, from Kentucky; Tom, from Illinois; and George and Myrtle, from Queens—and through Fitzgerald’s geographic choices he was able to discuss distinct geographic cultures of white Americans. Recognizing the specificity of Fitzgerald’s choices is a way to read and appraise his work fairly.

I don’t want to shy away from questions about how and why a so-called classic ages well or fails to do so. The only way to save good work through the passage of time and political climates and to keep reading is by pointing out what is observable with all the available knowledge and relevant context. It isn’t heresy or provincial to say a great book features whites, Blacks, Jews, or Chinese. The books can be about universal themes, and the biographies of the characters can be distinct. I am a Korean American writer who writes mostly about Koreans, and I hope to be read by anyone who cares for my work. Whiteness is neither my norm nor my center. It has a complex culture which I study, no different from how I study Koreans.

Your books have attracted Hollywood interest. “Pachinko” is about to première on Apple TV+. I’ve read that Netflix was interested in “Free Food for Millionaires.” What has it been like for you as an author to go to Hollywood?

I think Hollywood is different from publishing, and it’s a totally different visual medium. I think that it could be a really exciting place. And I am technically a professional screenwriter now. I’m a member of the Writers Guild now because I sold the pilot [for “Free Food for Millionaires”] to a real studio. It’s such different storytelling, but this is what I have learned about both Hollywood and publishing: it’s hard to create a good story. It’s really, really hard, and it’s actually really rare.

“Free Food for Millionaires” was in development with Netflix, but I know that doesn’t mean it’s going to get made. What is the status of the show?

It’s not going to be on Netflix. Netflix purchased the pilot, but it hasn’t been ordered to series. So it may go elsewhere, but I don’t know where right now.

And what was that like?

That was really wild because it’s one thing to write a novel—it’s another thing to adapt it into a screenplay. I was working with Alan Yang, who is just marvellous. He’s the co-creator of “Master of None,” and he made the film “Tigertail.” So having that experience with Alan was really terrific in terms of just thinking about a visual story and learning how to pitch to Hollywood. That was kind of insane because you are taking meetings with Hollywood studio heads and telling them about your book, but as a TV show. It’s really such a different thing. It’s almost like learning how to be an engineer or being a scientist or being a rock star.



This next question might be sensitive. The television adaptation for “Pachinko” is coming out soon. I had read earlier that you were an executive producer, but now, as far as I can tell, you’re no longer associated with the show. What happened?

I’m not an executive producer, and I’m not talking about that right now.

O.K. We’ll leave it there. So, what is Hollywood like?

Hollywood is like this beautiful fantasy. I mean, Fitzgerald ended up in Hollywood, and he died in Hollywood. He died, a drunk, in Hollywood.

Over the past few years, you have become one of the most visible spokespeople for Asian Americans, someone who’s looked to when we experience traumatic moments, like the spa shootings in Atlanta, or when Michelle Go was shoved in front of a subway train and killed, or, more recently, when Christina Yuna Lee was murdered in her apartment in Chinatown. Can you tell me about how you came to occupy this role?

Well, it’s weird. It’s a very strange thing because I would rather not say anything. I would rather not draw attention to myself, and, certainly, if you ask my sisters, of the three of us I’m the least equipped emotionally to handle that visibility. But, because I’m trained in history, I realized how important it is to be visible for Asian Americans in this country and how important it is for us to take certain positions that are unpopular and will make you seem like a troublemaker.

I’m terrified of being trolled. Oh, my God. I’m terrified of being criticized. I don’t like it. I don’t enjoy it. There are certain people who kind of want that. I don’t want that. So if I do issue a statement on an issue that I think is very important for me and people that may identify with me, then I’m incredibly careful about it. As a writer, I am attempting—perhaps vainly—to create portraits of people who have been rendered invisible. For me, it is worth trying because then, maybe, all the horrible and unfair stereotypes that Asians and Asian Americans endure each day can be chipped away.

What do you make of the concerns of the Asian American movement at this moment? In his new book, “The Loneliest Americans,” which you blurbed, Jay Caspian Kang writes that a lot of efforts around Asian American representation are consumerist, and part of a fight to have the “spoils of full whiteness.” What do you make of that critique?

I like Jay. I actually really like Jay’s book. And I like Jay’s book because, one, I read it—and I say that because I think those who haven’t read the book and criticize it are quite unfair. I thought that Jay’s book was very specifically about Jay. It’s a very personal book, and he has every right to believe those things. Do I think that Jay speaks entirely for me? No, of course not.

In the same way, if you read “Pachinko” and you don’t think it speaks for you, that makes perfect sense. Do I think that Jay has the right to espouse his view? Not only do I think that he has a right to espouse his view, I think he’s going to encourage people to have their own opinion and their own theory.

He believes that some of these fights around representation in the media are shallow.

I disagree, because I remember seeing a really great-looking East Asian guy as a model for a J. Crew catalogue years ago, and I remember thinking, This hot guy that Jenna Lyons or some art director has approved has advanced our cause.

Now, representation without good content is shallow. So, yes, it’s just an image that I saw in the J. Crew catalogue, and we can argue that this is a consumerist, materialistic foolish thing. If we only seek to be a good-looking guy on a J. Crew catalogue, that’s bad. But the idea that an Asian American man is considered attractive in that specific space, when you’re going against “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” this image of Mickey Rooney [in yellowface] being the Japanese photographer—again, I’m getting you a citation in media history. So I think it’s far more complicated, but those representations matter. It matters enormously.

One of the most sensitive issues right now among Asian Americans in New York City is how Bill de Blasio moved to eliminate the test for specialized high schools, like Bronx Science, where you went. This is a really complicated issue, one rooted in efforts to desegregate New York City schools but one in which many Asian Americans have felt overlooked and politically slighted. How do you disentangle this issue?

Well, there are a couple of things. One is that you’d have to change the state law to get rid of Bronx Science and Stuyvesant and Brooklyn Tech in terms of testing requirements. So part of it is a red-herring issue. We’re distracting parents. But we keep having this conversation because data is so compelling. The data is that you have this alleged overrepresentation of Asian Americans in these schools. I say “alleged” because I have a really serious problem with the term “overrepresented” being used for Asian Americans, because we are deeply underrepresented when it comes to getting access to state funding and government funding. Even though we make up fifteen per cent of New York City, we get apparently around two per cent of government funding. And then the other thing that really troubles me is that if you look at the actual income levels of the Asian Americans who attend Bronx Science, Brooklyn Tech, and Stuyvesant, you will see that they are middle class and working class. These aren’t people who are out there just getting thousand-dollar-an-hour tutors. Some of the students I interviewed were using second-hand textbooks. They took these exams, and they’re there.

Now, that said, that performance—to be used as a wedge against or as a cudgel against Latino and Black students in New York City—is so deeply racially problematic. When I went to Bronx Science, from 1982 to 1986, there was a very fair representation of African Americans and Latinos. So we have to look at it as, What happened in politics since then to now? Some of this has been school choice, right? We’re talking about elementary school and middle schools and the feeder programs and getting rid of the gifted and talented [programs]. We’re just creating this problem and blaming Asian Americans for something that the Democrats have created—and I’m a Democrat. So that’s my little three minutes on specialized high schools. But, no, I don’t think that the tests have created this. No, the Party has created this, the people in charge.


There’s a conservative, almost nationalistic strain in some parts of the Asian American community right now. You can see some of it in the discussions about specialized high schools. Are you concerned about it? Do you understand where it’s coming from?

I do understand where it’s coming from. It’s coming from the fact that college admissions in this country have become a luxury item, almost like a designer handbag, or a pair of shoes. And we’re not focussing on how colleges are guilty of creating an impossible thing to get—this golden ring—and, rather, we’re focussing on how to get these kids to get in there.

I believe in holistic admissions. I love the idea of it. But I think in practice it’s being used in many ways to create a kind of racial balancing. I think that if you want to have the racial balancing, say you want to have it. I actually think it’s a good idea to have a kind of racial balancing. Do I think that colleges are being honest about it? No. So what’s happening? Parents are getting really anxious. So the parents keep trying to create children to be winning applicants. That is really dangerous. Why do I say this? Because I have met enough Asian American parents and children to know that their families have been destroyed by this focus on making the child a valuable commodity, when it’s a little person, with a little soul.

The Supreme Court is about to take up a case that could very well dismantle affirmative action. This actually might be “good” for Asian Americans in terms of admissions. Are you watching this case?

I hope to attend it. I attended the Harvard trial. I attended a good number of days. What affected me in that trial was how they’re not going after legacy admissions, or for athletes—just for discrimination against Asian Americans and how they’re graded according to the rubric. And I found that to be kind of stupid. So do I think that Harvard is trying to racially balance? I think so. Can I prove it? Well, the proof was there. Do I think affirmative action can be dismantled now? No. I think that, if it does get dismantled, it will be done for the wrong things. Do I think that it will have the outcome that Asian Americans want? I do not think that you’re going to see more Asian American kids getting to these colleges.

You said in a recent interview that you don’t mind being “extra Asian” in a moment like this one. What do you mean by that?

I was being glib by saying, “I’m extra Asian.” I thought, You know what, maybe if I said, as a fifty-three-year-old ajumma, “I’m O.K. with being Asian; no, I like it––no, I’m extra Asian,” maybe you can just say, “I’m Asian and it’s not good or bad—it just is.” This all goes back to assimilation again. Is assimilation the same thing as deracination, de-ethnicization? And I’m saying, “No, I’m going to lean in.”
==

<더 뉴요커>(The New Yorker)의 마이클 로(Michael Luo) 에디터가 진행한 민진 리(Min Jin Lee) 작가와의 인터뷰 에 대한 요약 및 평론이다.

<요약>

1. 이민자의 삶과 소설가로서의 출발

  • 이민의 기억과 현실: 민진 리 작가는 7세 때 한국을 떠나 뉴욕 퀸즈에 정착했다. 유년 시절 가난했던 이민 생활, 바퀴벌레와 쥐가 들끓던 집, 무료 급식 프로그램에 대한 기억 등은 그녀에게 깊은 상흔을 남겼다. 그러나 이러한 개인적 결핍과 부모의 희생은 소설 속 인물들을 이해하고 공감하는 핵심 자산이 되었다.

  • 변호사에서 작가로: 예일대 역사학과와 조지타운 로스쿨을 거쳐 기업 변호사로 일했으나, 만성 B형 간염으로 인한 건강 위기(어린 시절부터 느낀 죽음에 대한 공포)를 겪으며 1995년 변호사를 그만두고 전업 작가의 길을 선택했다. 11년이라는 긴 무명 시절 끝에 첫 소설을 출간했다.

2. 집필 방식과 신앙적 루틴

  • 철저한 현장 취재와 연구: 작가는 문학적 창작에 앞서 철저한 학술 연구와 수십~수백 명에 달하는 인터뷰를 진행한다. 소설을 쓰기 전 하버드 경영대학원 청강, 모자 제작 기술 습득 등 사실감을 높이기 위해 깊이 있게 현장을 취재한다.

  • 매일 성경을 읽는 루틴: 작가는 매일 집필 전 성경을 한 장씩 읽고 주석을 공부하며 기도한다. 작가 윌라 캐더(Willa Cather)에게서 영감을 받은 이 습관은 문장의 단단함을 유지하고, 창조주이자 지혜의 원천에 귀를 기울이는 영적 리듬을 제공한다.

3. 주요 작품 세계와 핵심 메시지

  • <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식> (Free Food for Millionaires): '능숙함은 재앙이 될 수 있다(Competence can be a curse)'라는 논제로 시작한다. 모범 소수자(Model Minority) 신화의 허상을 비판하며, 생존을 넘어 '삶의 의미'를 찾고자 하는 1세대와 2·3세대 이민자 간의 심각한 가치관 갈등을 조명한다.

  • <파친코> (Pachinko): '역사가 우리를 망쳤지만, 그래도 상관없다(History has failed us, but no matter)'라는 문장을 테제(Thesis)로 삼는다. 재일코리안 4대의 수난사를 다루며, 거대한 역사의 폭력 앞에서도 끈질기게 생존하고 적응해 낸 평범한 개인들의 강인함(Genki)과 존엄성을 입증한다.

  • <미국 학원> (American Hagwon): 디아스포라 3부작의 완결작으로, 전 세계 한국인을 관통하는 가장 핵심적인 가치인 '교육'을 다룬다. 학원과 사교육 생태계를 통해 단순한 출세욕을 넘어 자녀에게 더 나은 삶을 물려주려는 부모의 사랑과 현대 사회의 생존 경쟁을 탐구한다.

4. 아시아계 미국인으로서의 목소리와 사회적 역할

  • 작가는 뉴욕시 특목고(브롱스 과학고 등) 입시 제도, 대학 입학에서의 인종 균형(Affirmative Action), 아시안 대상 증오 범죄 등 민감한 사회적 이슈에 대해 피하지 않고 목소리를 낸다.

  • 미디어에서의 아시안 재현(Representation)이 가진 중요성을 강조하며, 동화(Assimilation)가 곧 자신의 뿌리를 erased(탈민족화)하는 것이 아님을 피력한다. 스스로 "더 아시아인답게(extra Asian)" 당당히 존재하겠다는 의지를 밝혔다.

<평론>

1. 저널리즘적 치밀함과 소설적 울림의 결합 인터뷰에서 드러나는 민진 리 작가의 가장 큰 미덕은 역사학자와 저널리스트에 가까운 엄격한 취재 방식과, 이를 인간에 대한 따뜻한 서사로 승화시키는 문학적 연금술에 있다. 방대한 인터뷰 자료와 학술 서적을 집어삼킨 뒤(imbibe) 써 내려가는 그녀의 문장들은, 거대한 정치·사회적 주제(인종, 계급, 디아스포라)를 다루면서도 결코 관념에 빠지지 않고 손에 잡힐 듯 생생한 인물들의 생명력으로 채워진다.

2. 세대 간 대화와 '의미(Meaning)'의 탐구 인터뷰 중 1세대 이민자의 목표가 '생존과 경제적 안정'이었다면, 2세대 이후의 삶은 '의미와 목적의 탐구'라는 작가의 진단은 이민자 문학의 지평을 넓혀준다. 작가는 부모 세대의 희생과 한(恨)을 깊이 존중하면서도, 자녀 세대가 겪는 정체성의 방황과 내면의 비극을 한쪽으로 치우치지 않고 입체적으로 성찰한다. 이는 한인 사회를 넘어 자본주의 사회를 살아가는 현대 인류 전체의 세대 갈등을 읽어내는 탁월한 통찰이다.

3. 소외된 자들을 위한 서사적 정당성 확보 민진 리 작가는 역사나 미디어, 백인 중심의 mainstream 사회가 조명하지 않았던 '소외된 이들'에게 목소리를 부여하는 작업을 사명으로 삼는다. "역사가 우리를 망쳤다"라는 명제에 굴복하지 않고, 일상을 살아내고 춤추며 생존해 낸 보통 사람들의 삶이야말로 진정한 역사의 주인공임을 역설한다. 스스로 'extra Asian'이 되겠다고 선언하며 사회적 발언을 아끼지 않는 그녀의 행보는, 문학이 어떻게 개인의 삶을 넘어 공동체의 존엄성과 권리를 지키는 방패가 될 수 있는지를 명확히 보여준다.

==

<민진 리가 우리에게 보기를 원하는 것>

마이클 뤄 인터뷰 — 요약과 평론

마이클 뤄(Michael Luo)가 2022년 <뉴요커>에 실은 <What Min Jin Lee Wants Us to See>는 민진 리의 작품세계와 창작 과정, 이민 경험, 신앙, 아시아계 미국인 문제를 폭넓게 다룬 인터뷰다. 이 글에서 드러나는 민진 리의 핵심 관심은 단순히 한국인 이야기를 쓰는 데 있지 않다. 그녀는 역사와 사회가 보이지 않게 만든 사람들을 독자가 구체적인 인간으로 보게 하려 한다. 이를 위해 방대한 조사와 인터뷰를 수행하고, 사실을 감정과 이야기로 바꾸며, 자신이 속한 한국계 미국인 공동체의 모순까지도 숨기지 않는다.

1. 철저한 조사에서 출발하는 소설

인터뷰는 뉴욕 할렘에 있는 민진 리의 작업실에서 시작한다. 작업실에는 교육과 한국인 공동체를 다룬 책들이 쌓여 있다. 당시 그녀는 세 번째 소설 <American Hagwon>을 절반가량 쓰고 있었으며, 이미 한국계 대학생 75명 이상을 인터뷰했다. 이전 두 소설을 준비하면서는 인터뷰 기록과 자료가 대형 보관상자 열 개를 넘었다.

민진 리는 소설가이지만 취재 방식은 기자나 사회과학 연구자에 가깝다. 학술서와 역사자료를 읽고, 전문가와 실제 당사자를 인터뷰하며, 필요한 현장을 직접 방문한다. <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>을 쓰기 위해 하버드경영대학원 수업을 참관했고, 주인공 케이시가 모자를 만드는 인물이기 때문에 패션기술대학교에서 한 학기 동안 모자 제작을 배웠다.

그녀는 이런 조사의 목적을 ‘자신감’이라고 설명한다. 처음에는 자신이 모르는 것이 너무 많아 불안하지만, 조사 과정을 통과한 뒤에는 그 세계 안에서 자유롭게 이야기를 만들 수 있게 된다는 것이다. 자료는 소설에 그대로 쏟아붓기 위한 것이 아니라, 작가가 인물의 환경을 몸으로 익히기 위한 것이다.

이 때문에 민진 리의 소설은 정치·역사·사회 문제를 크게 다루면서도 학술보고서처럼 느껴지지 않는다. 인터뷰의 필자는 그녀의 장점을 무거운 정치적 주제와 주변화된 집단의 역사를 다루면서도, 인물과 사건을 독자가 계속 따라가게 만드는 추진력이라고 평가한다.

2. 미국 이민과 계급 하락의 기억

민진 리는 일곱 살 때 서울에서 미국으로 이민했다. 한국에서 아버지는 화장품 회사의 사무직 간부였고 어머니는 피아노 교사였다. 가족은 중산층 생활을 했지만, 미국에 도착한 뒤 뉴욕 퀸스의 낡고 더러운 아파트에서 살아야 했다.

어린 민진 리가 미국에 대해 가졌던 환상은 동화 속 세계였다. 그러나 실제로 만난 미국은 무도회복과 마차가 있는 곳이 아니라, 한국과 비슷해 보이면서도 한국인이 없는 낯선 도시였다. 집에는 더러운 주황색 카펫이 깔려 있었고 쥐와 바퀴벌레가 나왔다. 무료급식을 받으면서 그녀는 무료 점심을 먹는 아이와 그렇지 않은 아이 사이에 사회적 차이가 있다는 것을 알아차렸다.

이 기억은 단순한 가난의 추억이 아니다. 그녀는 자신들이 미국 이민을 통해 사회적으로 내려왔다는 사실을 어린 나이에도 느꼈다고 말한다. 돈이 없는 사람도 아름다움을 원하지만, 사회는 가난한 사람이 추한 환경에 만족할 것이라고 가정한다. 이러한 경험은 이후 <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>에서 돈, 취향, 계급적 수치심을 묘사하는 토대가 된다.

가족의 형편은 부모의 노동과 절약으로 조금씩 나아졌다. 아버지는 신문가판대를 운영했고, 이후 맨해튼 코리아타운에서 작은 보석 도매점을 열었다. 부모는 여섯 날씩 일하며 돈을 모았고, 마침내 뉴저지의 집으로 이사했다. 민진 리에게 이민자의 성공은 한순간의 도약이 아니라, 반복되는 노동과 검소함의 결과였다.

3. 명문대에 들어갔지만 속하지 못한 사람

민진 리는 브롱크스과학고등학교를 거쳐 예일대학교에서 역사를 공부했다. 그러나 예일에 입학했다고 해서 자신이 그 세계에 속한다고 느끼지는 못했다. 그녀는 <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>의 케이시 한이 “프린스턴에 다녔지만 프린스턴의 사람은 아니었다”고 느끼는 장면이 자신의 경험과 연결된다고 인정한다.

사립학교 출신의 동료 학생들은 글쓰기, 말하기, 여행 경험, 태도와 몸가짐에서 훨씬 잘 훈련되어 있었다. 그들은 반드시 악의적이거나 배타적인 사람들이 아니었다. 다만 어린 시절부터 엘리트 기관에 자연스럽게 들어갈 준비를 받은 사람들이었다. 민진 리는 그들과 비교해 자신이 세련되지 못한 시골뜨기처럼 느껴졌다고 말한다.

이 고백은 능력주의에 대한 중요한 비판을 담는다. 같은 대학에 입학한 학생들도 같은 출발점에서 시작한 것이 아니다. 시험성적과 입학 결과는 같을 수 있지만, 문화자본과 자신감, 사회적 편안함은 크게 다르다. 명문대는 계급을 극복하게 해주면서도, 오히려 자신의 계급적 부족함을 더욱 선명하게 느끼게 만드는 장소다.

그녀는 대학에서 성적이 뛰어나지 않았지만, 영어과가 수여한 논픽션과 픽션 부문의 최고상을 받았다. 이를 통해 자신이 아직 작가는 아니지만 무언가를 말할 능력은 있을 수 있다고 생각하게 되었다.

4. 죽음의 공포와 작가의 길

민진 리는 조지타운 법대를 졸업하고 기업변호사가 되었지만 2년 만에 그만두었다. 대학 시절부터 만성 B형간염 보균자였으며, 젊은 나이에 간암에 걸릴 수 있다는 말을 들었다. 그녀는 오랫동안 죽음이 자신을 쫓고 있다고 느꼈다.

이러한 죽음의식은 안정된 법률가의 삶을 포기하게 했다. 오래 살 수 없다면 자신에게 중요한 일을 해야 한다고 생각했다. 그러나 작가가 되는 과정은 낭만적이지 않았다. 첫 소설을 출판하기까지 11년이 걸렸고, 그 기간은 우울하고 굴욕적이었다. 그녀는 단순히 책 한 권을 내고 싶었던 것이 아니라 오랫동안 읽힐 위대한 소설을 쓰고 싶었다.

이 부분에서 드러나는 민진 리의 모습은 성공한 작가의 신화와 다르다. 재능이 곧바로 인정받은 것이 아니라, 실패와 수치심을 견디며 오랜 기간 기술을 익혔다. 글쓰기 수업에 참여하고, 다른 작가들과 교류하며, 스스로에게 지나치게 높은 목표를 부여했다.

5. “유능함은 저주가 될 수 있다”

<백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>의 첫 문장은 “유능함은 저주가 될 수 있다”이다. 민진 리는 자신의 소설 첫 문장을 일종의 논제문으로 사용한다.

유능한 사람은 많은 일을 잘할 수 있기 때문에 오히려 가장 중요한 일을 하지 못할 수 있다. 남들이 맡긴 책임을 계속 수행하고, 안전하게 성공할 수 있는 길을 선택하지만, 가장 큰 위험을 감수해야 하는 자신의 진정한 욕망은 뒤로 미룬다.

이 문장은 아시아계 미국인에게 붙는 ‘모범적 소수자’ 신화와도 관련된다. 아시아계는 공부를 잘하고 성실하며 전문직에 적합한 집단으로 묘사된다. 그러나 이러한 긍정적 고정관념도 인간을 억압한다. 실패하거나 방황할 자유, 예술가가 되거나 경제적으로 불안정한 길을 선택할 자유를 빼앗기 때문이다.

민진 리는 자신도 운전을 못하고 변호사시험에 떨어진 적이 있다며, 무능한 아시아계 사람도 많고 자신 역시 많은 일을 잘하지 못한다고 말한다. 이는 농담처럼 들리지만, 아시아계 인물을 모범생과 성공자로만 표현하지 않겠다는 선언이다. 그녀는 결함이 있고 잘못된 선택을 하는 아시아계 인물도 사랑받고 문학의 중심이 될 수 있다고 본다.

6. 생존을 넘어 의미를 찾는 세대

민진 리는 이민 1세대와 후속 세대의 갈등을 생존과 의미의 차이로 설명한다. 1세대에게 중요한 것은 음식, 주거, 의복, 직업과 같은 기본적 안정이다. 이 목표는 합리적이고 절실하다.

그러나 경제적 안정을 어느 정도 이룬 2세대와 3세대는 생존만으로 만족하지 않는다. 그들은 자신이 왜 사는지, 어떤 일을 해야 의미 있는 삶을 살 수 있는지를 묻는다. 부모는 자녀에게 “모든 것을 가졌는데 왜 행복하지 않으냐”고 묻지만, 자녀는 목적과 의미가 없다면 아무것도 가진 것이 아니라고 느낀다.

문제는 경제적으로 성공한 2세대 부모조차 1세대의 생존 논리를 내면화하여, 자신의 자녀에게 같은 성공 기준을 강요한다는 점이다. 자녀가 사진가가 되거나 유기농 버섯을 키우고 싶다고 하면, 부모는 컴퓨터과학 전공을 포기하려는 것을 이해하지 못한다.

이 분석은 <American Hagwon>의 중심 주제와 직접 연결된다. 교육은 가족의 생존을 보장하는 수단이었지만, 다음 세대에게는 자신의 인간적 가치를 입증해야 하는 압력으로 변한다.

7. 폭력과 교회를 숨기지 않는 태도

민진 리는 <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>의 첫 장에서 케이시의 아버지가 딸의 얼굴을 때리는 장면을 썼다. 그녀는 한국계와 유색인종 공동체 안의 가정폭력을 문화에 해가 될까 두려워 숨기는 것이 문제 해결을 막는다고 말한다.

그러나 폭력을 행사한 사람이 곧 악인이라는 단순한 구도도 거부한다. 누군가를 때린 행동은 잘못이지만, 그 사람 전체를 악으로 규정하면 가족과 공동체 안의 복잡한 현실을 이해할 수 없다. 작가의 역할은 폭력을 정당화하는 것이 아니라, 그것이 어떻게 발생하고 어떤 인간적 모순 속에 놓여 있는지를 서사로 보여주는 것이다.

한국계 미국인 교회도 그녀의 작품에서 중요한 공간이다. 민진 리 자신은 교회에서 태어나고 자랐으며 지금도 매주 예배에 참석한다. 문학계의 모임에서 교회에 간다고 말했을 때 사람들이 웃는 경험도 했다. 예술가가 진지한 기독교 신앙을 가졌다는 사실이 그들에게 뜻밖이었던 것이다.

그녀는 일부 기독교인의 행동이 끔찍하다는 점을 인정한다. 그럼에도 창조주와 세계 안에서 작용하거나 침묵하는 신의 존재에 깊은 관심을 가진다.

8. 성경 읽기와 글쓰기

민진 리는 매일 글을 쓰기 전에 성경 한 장을 읽는다. 변호사를 그만둔 직후에는 <파이낸셜 타임스>, <뉴욕 타임스>, <월스트리트 저널>을 읽고 글을 쓰기 시작했지만 잘되지 않았다. 그러다가 윌라 캐더가 매일 성경을 읽었다는 사실을 알고 같은 습관을 시작했다.

그녀는 성경을 임의로 펼쳐 읽지 않는다. 처음부터 차례대로 읽고, 주석이 달린 성경의 설명까지 두 번 읽으며 메모한다. 그녀에게 이것은 하나님의 생각을 엿듣는 행위에 가깝다. 또한 글을 계속 쓸 수 있도록 영감과 인내를 구하는 기도이기도 하다.

성경 읽기는 작품에 교리를 주입하기 위한 것이 아니다. 오히려 인간의 죄, 은총, 실패, 희생과 용서를 이해하기 위한 정신적 훈련이다. <백만장자를 위한 공짜 음식>의 제목도 부유한 투자은행가들이 공짜 점심을 받는 현실을 풍자하면서 동시에, 모든 인간이 자격 없이 재능과 은총을 받았다는 신학적 의미를 지닌다.

민진 리는 모든 인물에게 특별한 선물이 있다고 본다. 진정한 가난은 돈의 부족만이 아니라, 자신이 받은 선물을 발견하지 못하는 데 있을 수 있다.

9. 역사가 실패한 사람들을 소설로 살려내기

<파친코>의 첫 문장은 “역사는 우리를 저버렸지만, 상관없다”이다. 민진 리는 역사학이라는 학문과 실제 역사가 모두 가난하고 목소리 없는 사람들을 실패하게 했다고 설명한다.

그러나 “상관없다”는 말은 체념이 아니다. 권력자들이 어리석거나 잔인해도 평범한 사람들은 생존하고 저항하며 제도를 우회할 방법을 만들어낸다는 뜻이다.

민진 리는 처음 재일조선인을 식민주의의 불쌍한 피해자로 보았다. 그러나 인터뷰 과정에서 당사자들은 그녀의 해석이 틀렸다고 말했다. 그들은 자신을 무력한 희생자로만 보지 않았다. 차별받았지만 강하고 활력이 있으며 삶을 계속 만들어온 사람들이었다.

이 경험은 민진 리의 창작법을 바꾸었다. 작가는 주변화된 사람을 동정하는 데서 멈추어서는 안 된다. 그들의 주체성과 유머, 욕망과 잘못된 선택까지 보여주어야 한다. 피해자로만 그리는 것도 인간을 평면적으로 만드는 또 다른 방식이기 때문이다.

10. 사실만으로는 사람의 마음을 바꿀 수 없다

민진 리는 처음 <파친코>를 쓸 때 독자에게 역사적 사실을 가르치려는 분노가 강했다고 말한다. “이 끔찍한 일을 보라”고 외치고 싶었다. 그러나 세상에는 매일 너무 많은 비극이 발생한다. 사실을 나열하는 것만으로는 사람들이 관심을 가지지 않는다.

그녀는 사람의 생각을 바꾸려면 먼저 감정을 움직여야 한다는 사실을 깨달았다. 혼돈 같은 현실에서 소설은 질서를 만들고, 독자가 한 인물의 삶을 따라가도록 해야 한다. 통계 속의 희생자가 이름과 얼굴, 가족과 욕망을 가진 사람으로 느껴질 때 비로소 독자는 그 문제를 자신의 것으로 받아들인다.

이것이 제목의 “민진 리가 우리에게 보기를 원하는 것”의 의미다. 그녀는 독자에게 단순히 한국인이나 아시아계 사람을 보라고 요구하지 않는다. 고정관념과 통계 뒤에 있는 개별 인간을 보게 하려 한다.

11. <위대한 개츠비>와 미국의 보편성

민진 리는 펭귄 클래식판 <위대한 개츠비>의 서문을 쓰면서 이 작품이 위대한 소설이지만 모든 미국인의 이야기는 아니라고 강조했다. 그것은 특정 지역과 계급에서 온 백인 미국인들의 이야기다.

작품이 백인을 다룬다고 말하는 것은 그 작품의 가치를 떨어뜨리는 일이 아니다. 오히려 작품의 구체적 역사와 문화적 위치를 정확히 인정하는 일이다. 문제는 백인 인물의 경험은 보편적인 ‘미국인의 경험’으로 간주하면서, 한국계나 흑인, 푸에르토리코계 인물의 경험은 특수한 소수자 이야기로 분류하는 데 있다.

민진 리는 백인성을 인간의 기본값이나 문학의 중심으로 삼지 않는다. 자신이 한국인을 연구하듯 백인문화도 하나의 특수한 문화로 연구한다. 고전의 한계를 지적하는 것은 고전을 서가에서 끌어내리는 일이 아니라, 더 오래 정직하게 읽기 위한 방법이라고 본다.

12. 아시아계 미국인의 가시성과 교육정치

코로나19 이후 아시아계 대상 폭력이 증가하면서 민진 리는 아시아계 미국인을 대변하는 인물로 더 자주 발언하게 되었다. 그녀는 원래 공개적으로 나서거나 비판받는 것을 좋아하지 않으며, 온라인 공격을 두려워한다고 고백한다. 그럼에도 역사학을 공부한 사람으로서 아시아계가 사회적으로 보이는 존재가 되는 것이 중요하다고 판단한다.

대중문화에서의 재현도 중요하다고 말한다. 아시아계 남성이 매력적인 모델로 등장하는 장면조차 과거의 황색인종 비하 이미지와 비교하면 의미가 있다. 물론 내용 없는 재현만으로는 부족하지만, 누가 아름답고 정상적이며 사랑받을 수 있는 사람으로 보이는가는 사회적 인식에 실제 영향을 준다.

뉴욕 특목고 입시 문제에 대해서는 아시아계 학생을 단순히 ‘과잉대표’로 규정하는 데 반대한다. 이들 중 상당수는 부유한 엘리트가 아니라 중산층과 노동계급 출신이며, 중고 교재로 시험을 준비했다. 동시에 아시아계의 성취를 흑인과 라틴계 학생을 비난하는 무기로 이용하는 것도 인종적으로 잘못되었다고 지적한다.

그녀는 문제의 원인을 아시아계 학생이 아니라 초·중등 공교육의 실패와 정치적 결정에서 찾아야 한다고 본다. 대학입학이 명품 가방 같은 희소한 지위재가 되면서 부모들은 자녀를 ‘이기는 지원자’로 만들려 한다. 그 과정에서 어린이는 영혼을 가진 사람이 아니라 대학에 팔기 좋은 상품처럼 취급된다.

평론

이 인터뷰의 가장 큰 가치는 민진 리의 소설이 개인적 정체성의 표현만이 아니라, 역사학·사회학·신학·저널리즘이 결합된 장기적인 지적 작업임을 보여주는 데 있다.

민진 리는 자신이 속한 한국계 공동체를 미화하지 않는다. 가정폭력, 부모의 통제, 교회의 문제, 학력 집착을 공개적으로 말한다. 그러나 외부인의 시선으로 그것을 낯설고 후진적인 문화처럼 소비하지도 않는다. 폭력과 억압을 비판하면서도 그 속에 있는 두려움, 사랑, 계급적 불안과 이민의 상처를 함께 보려 한다.

특히 중요한 것은 ‘가시성’에 대한 그녀의 이해다. 주변화된 집단을 보이게 만든다는 것은 반드시 훌륭하고 성공적인 인물만을 전면에 세운다는 뜻이 아니다. 무능하고 허영심이 있으며 잘못된 선택을 하는 아시아계 인물도 문학에 등장할 수 있어야 한다. 완벽한 모범생으로만 인정받는 것은 또 다른 비인간화이기 때문이다.

민진 리의 강점은 공감과 비판을 함께 유지하는 능력이다. 이민 부모의 교육열을 이해하지만 자녀를 상품화하는 것은 비판한다. 교회를 사랑하지만 기독교인의 잘못을 감추지 않는다. <위대한 개츠비>를 존경하지만 그것을 모든 미국인의 보편적 이야기로 만드는 데 반대한다. 재일조선인의 고통을 말하지만 그들을 수동적인 피해자로 고정하지 않는다.

다만 그녀의 접근에는 긴장도 있다. 철저한 조사와 수많은 인터뷰에도 불구하고, 작가 한 사람이 ‘한국인’이나 ‘아시아계 미국인’의 경험을 얼마나 대표할 수 있는지는 계속 질문되어야 한다. 그녀 자신도 자신의 소설이 모든 한국계 사람을 대변하지 않는다고 인정한다. 이 한계를 인정하는 태도 자체가 오히려 신뢰를 준다.

또한 인터뷰에서 교육 문제를 다룰 때 부모의 불안과 대학의 책임을 날카롭게 지적하지만, 불평등을 만드는 노동시장·주거·복지제도의 구조까지 충분히 확장되지는 않는다. 그러나 이 인터뷰의 목적은 완성된 사회학 이론을 제시하는 것이 아니라, 그녀가 어떤 문제의식으로 소설을 쓰는지 보여주는 데 있다.

결국 민진 리가 독자에게 보기를 원하는 것은 화려하게 성공한 한국인도, 불쌍한 역사적 피해자도 아니다. 그녀가 보여주려는 것은 생존하고 실패하며, 사랑하고 폭력을 행사하고, 믿고 의심하며, 의미를 찾는 복잡한 인간이다.

한 문장으로 정리하면 다음과 같다.

<민진 리의 문학은 역사와 사회가 하나의 인종적 유형이나 통계로 축소한 사람들에게 얼굴과 목소리, 결함과 존엄을 되돌려주는 작업이다.>


==


==



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기