Still Life With Rice: A Young American Woman Discovers the Life and Legacy of Her Korean Grandmother
“A captivating memoir of a courageous survivor” (Publishers Weekly) and “a window onto the panorama of modern Korean history” (St. Petersburg Times) this is a radiant and engaging story about a young American woman’s discovery about the life of her Korean grandmother.
Helie Lee’s grandmother, Hongyong Baek, came of age in a unified but socially repressive Korea, where she was taught the roles that had been prescribed for her: obedient daughter, demure wife, efficient household manager. Ripped from her home first during the Japanese occupation and again during the bloody civil war that divided her country, Hongyong fought to save her family by drawing from her own talents and values. Over the years she proved her spirit indomitable, providing for her husband children by running a successful restaurant, building a profitable opium business, and eventually becoming adept at the healing art of ch’iryo. When she was forced to leave her country, she moved her family to California, where she reestablished her ch’iryo practice.
Writing in her grandmother’s voice, Helie Lee recreates an individual experience in a unique culture that is both seductively exotic and strangely familiar. With wit and verve, she claims her own Korean identity and illuminates the intricate experiences of Asian-American women in this century.
From other countries
Peter Arzberger
5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping memoir, giving a overview of key events in 20th century Korean history.
Reviewed in the United States on 13 October 2021
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
A gripping memoir, speaking to the resilience of a person’s soul and the healing quality of family bonds of love and devotion.
Written by the granddaughter Helie, this story follows the life of a headstrong Korean woman during time of turmoil. The Korean society was turned upside down during its rule by Japan; Koreans' hope for independence and unity was followed by despair when “liberation” divided the country and devastated those who stayed north of the 38th parallel; the Korean war brought chaos and death to millions; and the ensuing vast migration to the south led to separation and loss of family.
The grandmother, Hong Yong, was born in the year of the rat, 1912. We experience life through her eyes, struggling against the powerful forces that shaped and destroyed society. We learn about her personal joys and disappointments, marriage, children, fleeing Korea for China to “live as Koreans”, creating wealth legally and illegally, having children and raising the family, of her husband’s infidelity, and her conversion to Christianity. Repeatedly, we see the family struggle, find joy, lose wealth through relocation, war, politics, and start over again.
But throughout these events we see a determination to keep a family together. At times, Hong Yong despairs; sometimes her husband steps into the role of holding the family together, sometimes it is her oldest daughter.
When in China, Hong Yong learns the healing skills of Ch’iryo from one of her employees. This she practices, and while many are skeptical, as she was at first, this skill helps her start again, after the devastation of the Korean war, losing her husband to diphtheria, and separated from her firstborn, a son, during the rush in 1950 to flee North Korea.
The book also captures the culture of Korea, from obedience to parents to her key life events, such as weddings.
The granddaughter wrote the book in first person, in the voice of her grandmother. This is very effective. In fact, this would have made an engaging novel, and I wondered, often, how all of this could have happened to one person. The book also captures key moments of modern Korean history.
FB. A gripping memoir, that works as literature, as an overview of key events in Korean history experienced by people, as a primer on the culture of Korea and some key life events (e.g., weddings), and as the story of resilience and the strength of family love.
Report
A. Bridges
5.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner and Eye Opener!
Reviewed in the United States on 23 September 2005
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I really enjoyed this book. I live in Korea as the wife of a US military officer. I have lived here for over a year and have daily contact with many Koreans. This book gave me valuable insight into the Koreans around me. Obviously not everyone is the same. However, this book taught me a lot about Korean culture and traditions, some aspects of which have sometimes confused and frustrated me. The morning after I stayed up half the night finishing this book (I couldn't put it down), as I drove around, I looked at these natives of my host country through entirely new eyes.
I have been telling everyone I come into contact with about this book. So far, everyone who has read it at my recommendation has been in full agreement with me.
The story is incredible. After I finished it, I spoke with a Korean woman I know well who was about 8 during the Korean War. Her stories were strikingly similar to what I read in the book.
This book is a must read, whether you have a relationship with Korea or not.
Report
daniel
5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I really enjoyed reading this book. This book really opened my eyes about the difficulties that Helie Lee and other people like her went through. I would recommend this book to anyone who would want to learn about Korean history. This was a very emotional book to read and would recommend this to everyone. This book’s perspective is told from the eyes of grandma from her childhood till her adulthood. The novel additionally resolves significant issues about the old persecution of ladies, the effect of the Japanese take-over in Korea, and the conflict that separated families alongside the North and South. Through such a private experience with such a strong and adorable lady, we gain the battles and history that oozes from Korea.
Report
Barbara loves a great read
4.0 out of 5 stars Reading this after Korea Trip made this book very relevant
Reviewed in the United States on 4 September 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I just finished reading "Still Life with Rice." It was especially interesting because we had just been to Korea. I wanted an understanding of the culture and the effects of so many years of war. While in Korea we stood looking across the water into N.Korea and I felt the agony of the many thousands of S. Korean people who had loved ones kidnapped to N Korea in 1951. They did not know who in their family survived the war and were trapped in N. Korea.
This is a memoir written by a granddaughter about her grandmother's life growing up in both N & S Korea and China and the suffering of the war years. It is very frank in the descriptions and it is hard to imagine the hardships they survived. It also gives insight into older generations watching Korean culture change with immigration to the USA. If you ever wondered about the Korean war this first-person memoir is a good read. It is also a book about the challenge of trying to record first-person accounts before older relatives are no longer able to tell us what it was like for them. There are some aspects of the grandmother's life that were self-inflicted tragedy - her desire to sell opium to gain wealth was tragic. But there were great changes in her goals, focus and desires over the years. I think it reveals that in old age the grandmother realized ways that she had failed as a mother. I am thankful the granddaughter preserved this account and I recommend it to anyone wondering about life in Korea in the Korean war years.
Barbara Anne Waite -Author of Memoir "Elsie-Adventures of an Arizona Schoolteacher 1913-1916"
Report
Kristen FP
5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Still About This Life
Reviewed in the United States on 21 July 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Still Life, With Rice is a beautiful depiction of the Korean woman. Helie Lee introduces us to a Korean-American female narrator who is unaware of the power behind her culture. She views her mother and grandmother as coming from the "old-school," thus defying her Korean identity. On a trip to Korea, our narrator begins a journey to awakening, which we, as readers feel because Lee then transforms the narration to that of our narrator's grandmother. We live through the grandmother's life from childhood, through marriage, children, the Korean War, love, loss, wealth, despair, and everything in between.
The novel also addresses major issues about the old oppression of women, the affect of the Japanese take-over in Korea, and the war that divided families along with the North and South. Through such an intimate encounter with such a powerful and lovable woman, we learn the struggles and history that exudes from Korea.
Overall, an absolutely wonderful read for someone who is looking to understand Korean history on an accessible level, or for a reader looking for a great quest of emotional discovery.
Report
zhiying zhu
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book that talks about Korean culture and history
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book gives a vivid description of her grandmother’s life. Her grandma moved to China and USA to stay away from the war. It talks about the cultural clash between traditional Korean culture and American culture. It also talked about how different life is at each country. Through the author’s amazing wording and story telling, the readers can understand the culture behind it. I really recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about history or simply want to choose a for fun book.
Report
Pa Ku Yang
3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better
Reviewed in the United States on 21 January 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The setting for this book is all over the place. It cannot be easily followed when, where, what, and how. I feel like reading 2 different stories with two different settings. Transition could be better to tie in both stories of the past and present. Although, parts of this book are worth reading balancing both worlds that the author lives in.
Report
Brandon Pang
5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend! Hit me in the feels
Reviewed in the United States on 21 January 2020
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Would recommend to any korean American. Really provides a lot of insight to our cultural values and why we might have been raised the way that we are. Helped clarify things between my relationships with my parents that might not be as easily communicated by them. Also makes me appreciate their gestures and their love languages even though they might realize it. Inspires me to want to revamp my own Korean so that I can ask my grandparents about their own experiences before it’s too late. Would love to talk about it with other readers and definitely recommend for book clubs or any courses focusing on Asian cultural studies
Report
Nicole kimele
4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical insight
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I really liked the historical aspect of the book. I learned a lot about the history of Korea in an interesting perspective. I also liked that the perspective of the book was from the authors grandmother. What I disliked a little was that I feel like there wasn’t a huge climax, there was a lot of little tragedies throughout the various chapters. Although another thing I liked was that the chapters were pretty short and every chapter was a bit different. I loved learning about all the different characters and various members of the family. The book dug deep into Korean traditions, and gave a great insight into the Korean way of life. Overall I enjoyed the book, and recommend reading it.
Report
Eli H
4.0 out of 5 stars A piece of literature for your brain!
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
An absolutely breathtaking book that is like no other I’ve read before. The series of events that occur in this book from a first person point of view really makes me wonder about the differences in lifestyle in Korea between then and now. The narrator (Houngyong) perspective really makes me appreciate for what is around me and the form of stable government I live in: it’s hard to imagine what living like in such a fragile environment must be like but Huongyong makes it very much possible for what it’s like to live through those experiences. The book does change narrators sometimes and jumps to different episodes of her life.
Report
Lindsey
4.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I think that Still Life With Rice is a very well written novel, but it can be confusing to read at times because the characters don’t have distinct names. With that said, I get lost in the characters while reading sometimes. I love the storyline of Still Life With Rice and the details the author gives. I also love the family connection between Helie and her family. You can tell that the family is close and they care for each other. You get to feel a lot of different emotions from this book like happiness, sadness, sorrow, sympathy, and more.
Report
Penny
5.0 out of 5 stars Books
Reviewed in the United States on 30 December 2024
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Great read
Report
Rindy13
5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering and emotional non fiction
Reviewed in the United States on 14 September 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Read this book about 15 years ago and remembered loving it. Decided to buy it again and it did not disappoint. It's action packed and gives a detailed account of the extreme hardships and victories endured by the author's grandmother in Korea. A page turner for sure.
Report
Cairographics
5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
Reviewed in the United States on 19 January 2007
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is truly an incredible journey: A true story that reads like a gripping novel: from a mother trying to cast out the worms that gnaw at her daughter's stomach, to trying to cross the shell of a bridge from North Korea to South Korea during the war, with children in tow. It will make you appreciate everything you have: your family, the food on your table, the clothes on your back. It will make you want to read the sequel: In the Absence of Sun, which details the family's struggle to smuggle family out of North Korea--unbelievable! There can't be a more oppressive country on the planet. Helie Lee draws attention to this divided country that is often overlooked.
Report
M. Marchman
5.0 out of 5 stars You won't put this book down once you start.
Reviewed in the United States on 17 November 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
It told me what North Korea is really like. Worse than the press tells you. Fascinating read, I couldn't put the book down. It was recommended to me by a 26 year old Korean who recently returned from five years in Korea--she was so totally American that her father wanted her to understand her roots and sent her there for five years.
Report
Candice
5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!!
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I love this book! It was so interesting and enlightening to read. The experiences described are eye-opening!
Report
Vincent Spero
5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing book
Reviewed in the United States on 11 May 2022
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I absolutely loved this book. Beautiful story. One of the best books I've ever read.
Report
KSK255
5.0 out of 5 stars a treasure for your book collection
Reviewed in the United States on 11 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
i love this book. i learned so much about korean culture and history through this brave woman's eyes. her story touched my heart. i couldn't put the book down. i bought copies for my korean-american friends; it is a must read for all korean-american women who care about and are interested in their heritage.
Report
Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend it.
Reviewed in the United States on 14 December 2017
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Bought this copy because I'd given mine away. I am a Caucasian married to a Korean man and this book helped me understand Korean culture (and my Korean mother-in-law) more than anything I've ever read. I highly recommend it.
Report
Barbara K Heffernan
5.0 out of 5 stars A story of a Korea I once knew and still love.
Reviewed in the United States on 8 July 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
The author went to school in Korea where I taught many years ago with the Department of Defense. I want to read her books after reading many favorable comments about her writing. I have just begun reading this book, and so far it meets my expectations.
Report
Daniel P. Mclaughlin
3.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing
Reviewed in the United States on 25 December 2018
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Expect sadness. Korean history is not one of flowers and parapets casually glanced-upon.
Report
Bonnie von Kuegelgen
5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating family saga beginning in pre-war Korea and ending with ...
Reviewed in the United States on 20 March 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Fascinating family saga beginning in pre-war Korea and ending with the end of the Korean war as told by a Korean-American granddaughter.. Am looking forward to the sequel.
Report
Rachel Ash
5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy I read this.
Reviewed in the United States on 28 January 2016
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This book was such a great read. It's touching and sad, but still a wonderful story about Korean during the Japanese Occupation and the Korean War.
Report
Toni T.
5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read
Reviewed in the United States on 29 December 2015
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
One of the best books I've ever read. I learned a lot of history while being captivated by an amazing story
Report
hawj93
5.0 out of 5 stars more like a 6/5
Reviewed in the United States on 19 December 2016
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Tremendous, heart-touching book. Captivating, almost as if you were actually there in person, more like a 6/5.
Report
AllyG
5.0 out of 5 stars It was amazing. Very eye-opening and gut wrenching
Reviewed in the United States on 20 December 2014
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I was assigned to read this book in my Asian History class. It was amazing. Very eye-opening and gut wrenching.
Report
MinsAmazon
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United States on 15 April 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Beautifully written. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Report
sendy gutierrez
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United States on 20 August 2016
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Great book!!!
Report
Elizabeth H. Gamburd
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United States on 24 July 2015
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Fascinating book.
Report
Ka Bao Thao
5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Reviewed in the United States on 13 November 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
interesting book.
Report
To see more, s
Community Reviews
4.30
1,491 ratings207 reviews
5 stars
732 (49%)
4 stars
521 (34%)
3 stars
200 (13%)
2 stars
29 (1%)
1 star
9 (<1%)
Search review text
Search review text
Filters
Displaying 1 - 10 of 207 reviews
Profile Image for Kim.
Kim
794 reviews
Follow
March 13, 2017
A wonderful story about her resilient grandmother!
8 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Regina.
Regina
12 reviews
Follow
January 4, 2008
"A woman must always be the strong stone, for she is the foundation of a family. However, your husband must never be threatened by your power and will. Let him believe it is his. Peace and happiness rest upon you and you alone. Guide him, lead him to his full potential, and most important, open his heart toward the light of God, and also your unborn children's." (pg. 303)
"Be good to your mother, for there will be no one else in thie whole world who will love you more dearly." (pg. 305)
" 'And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.' A mother's love." (pg. 320)
6 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for La Petite Américaine.
La Petite Américaine
208 reviews
1,648 followers
Follow
June 14, 2010
Sex, drugs, tradition, strong women, and the history of the Korean War. This is my kinda book. All memoirs should be written like this.
One of the most touching books I've ever read ... and it was given an iffy rating on goodcleanreads.blogspot.com (http://goodcleanreads.blogspot.com/20...), just confirming all the more that this book kicks ass. :)
auto-bios-etc
north-korea
6 likes
Like
Comment
Debby Allen
748 reviews
2 followers
Follow
July 4, 2013
I've hemmed and hawed about how I feel about this book. It's a good story, well told. It reads like a morality tale, all the riches they got from the opium trade disappeared like that, land stolen from them as soon as they bought it with the opium money. The hardships and utter stubbornness, the callousness and (overdone in some cases) charity. And to anyone who says Korea is a patriarchy - Ha! Resonates well with Fall of Giants, in that just because you're born into an upper class doesn't automatically imbue you with leadership skills, as the English learned to their sorrow on the battlefield, as the family learned to it's sorrow with Father and Eldest Son and Second Wife, and the absolute spinelessness of Husband.
More personally, I still don't know how to react to the book. All I know of North Korea is the other side of the propaganda the North pours out about the South. The parenting - that's overgenerous - the way children are allowed to grow up resonates more irritating than painful, but I guess still both. And my perpetual question, 'why, if you didn't like it when you were growing up, repeat the same pattern?'
Worth reading, doubt I'll read any more by the author. Same thing happened with Amy Tan.
3 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Miranda Kerr-Bloom.
Miranda Kerr-Bloom
39 reviews
1 follower
Follow
June 4, 2014
def one of the greatest memoir for me. theres no page in this book that you wouldnt want to savor because the way the author described all the intricate details of death,love, endings and new beginnings in biting humor made me feel as if i am one of the characters during the war. and trust me it was not a good experience. its like i am hanging on a thin branch that might snap any moment. but its because of the terror and chill that it brought to my bones that i like it all the more. it made me experience horror and that warm fuzzy feeling like no other book has ever done. except maybe battle royale by takami. that book was sick too.
historical
3 likes
3 comments
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Cheryl.
Cheryl
26 reviews
Follow
March 13, 2012
I LOVED this book!!! Granted, I am biased in my adoration of Korea. This book further clinches that adoration. What a resilient people! The real life aspect of it only makes it more appealing. A wonderful read from start to finish!
3 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Carmen.
Carmen
2,784 reviews
Follow
August 26, 2020
I gazed down to this little bundle in my arms and quietly whispered, "Be good to your mother, for there will be no one else in this whole world who will love you more dearly."
2020
americas
asia
biography-memoir-biografía-memorias
history
...less
3 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Oliver Matheson.
Oliver Matheson
0 reviews
1 follower
Follow
August 31, 2017
One of the more fascinating and inspiring stories I've ever read, it's absolutely unbelievable from start to finish
3 likes
Like
Comment
Profile Image for Lauren Garcia.
Lauren Garcia
7 reviews
1 follower
Follow
March 8, 2023
I AM OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK!!! This is not your typical memoir– instead of writing from her own perspective, Helie Lee writes Still Life With Rice from her Korean grandmother Hongyong Baek's perspective, with only a few pages dedicated to Lee's own thoughts. Lee explores in depth the trials that her grandmother faced, beginning with her grandmother's birth all the way up to the time of Lee writing the book. She delves deep into the topics of family relations, cultural norms, religion, motherhood, war, and love from perspective of her grandmother. Lee also examines the way in which attitudes towards these topics shift or remain the same through the generations– from her great-great-grandmother's generation to her own generation. The story of Hongyong Baek is one that will keep your eyes watering and your mind racing. Overall, Still Life With Rice is beautifully written and is a book that will stick with me for a lifetime.
2 likes
2 comments
Like
Comment
Tiffany
7 reviews
4 followers
Follow
October 30, 2013
p. 17
"Our first responsibility must be to the family and not to the individual. It is our duty as women to raise future generations."
"Korean women consider our positions as mothers and nurturers to be the most important job. Asserting our rights outside the household is not worth sacrificing the family's well-being."
p.36 Ironing: "Mother made it looks so simple and graceful. She would take a sip of water and spray the fabric evenly from between puckered lips, then glide the iron across Father's wrinkled trousers. My sprays usually dribbled out in pu8ddles, leaving a wet trail down my chin and front of my dress..."
p.165 "These were the same words I had heard before. As I listened to them once more, drinking in their profound meaning, I felt some unseen force inside me, massaging, softening my callused heart. Instantly thirty-five years of jealousy, dishonesty, lust, and pride were exposed. I saw the person I had been and the sins I had committed against others. My heart felt heavy, I wanted to purged of my burden. I wanted this Jesus to help me. At that moment when I asked to be saved, the light of the sun seemed to flood the room..."
p.171 "Right there in bold print, for anyone to read, was the message of love. God treasured all his children equally, regardless of gender. For the first time in my life, I was truly content simply being a person, not a wife, not a mother, not a woman. A person."
p.179 Convinced to try out Christianity: "If there is a chance to reunited after death, I wish to go where my family is. I do not want to be separated from you."
p.211 "The thought of washing pads along the icy trail with bombs exploding over our heads was almost funny. For this reason alone, women would never start wars."
p.222 Caution to children: "Listen carefully. When the planes swarm again, do not yell out my name. I cannot protect you from the bullets. Call out Jesus' name. He is the only one who can save you. Do you understand?"
p.225 "Move on," I told myself. "I can only worry about my own." Such selfish words, not the Christian thing to do, and yet I think God understood the terrible decisions I often had to make.
p. 289 to the farm boy applying for college: "All you have is this pencil and God, but that is more than enough."
p.309 Sending her daughter to America: "Through out touch, we communicated a lifetime of apologies and forgiveness. Through our eyes we, we confirmed the love that flowed between us."
P.315 Advice from grandmother "Do no hold on to your unmarried status as if it is a great prize. A rotten fruit once fallen off the tree is wasted and there are no second chances. Life and the creation of life is the most precious gift given to women. It is not meant to be taken lightly or denied."
2 likes
Like
Comment
Displaying 1 - 10 of 207 reviews
More reviews and ratings
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기