Australia News
Politics
Tony Abbott says Australia is on a ‘slippery slope’ after court backs Palestine protest on Harbour Bridge
Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott has taken aim at the NSW Supreme Court after it cleared the way for a major pro-Palestine protest across Sydney Harbour Bridge, calling the decision a political overreach by unelected judges.
Conor BreslinDigital Reporter
3 min read
August 2, 2025 - 1:42PM1133 Comments
‘Ploy to stave off One Nation’: Jim Chalmers’ brutal budget swipe at the Coalition
‘Ploy to stave off One Nation’: Jim Chalmers’ brutal budget swipe at the Coalition
Treasurer Jim Chalmers has suggested the Opposition’s budget reply will be a “ploy to stave off One Nation”.
more
Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott has launched a scathing attack on the New South Wales Supreme Court after it ruled in favour of a mass pro-Palestine march set to take place across the Sydney Harbour Bridge this Sunday.
Posting to X, formerly Twitter, Mr Abbott said: “It should not be for judges to decide when a political protest is justified. The decision to close the Sydney Harbour Bridge to facilitate this protest is a political decision and should be made by elected and accountable ministers - who as it happens, think the march should not go ahead,” he posted.
“We are on a slippery slope when unelected judges start making political judgments.”
The march, which organisers say could draw as many as 50,000 people, will now proceed with legal protections after a Supreme Court ruling found it met the threshold to be considered an “authorised” assembly under NSW law.
Justice Belinda Rigg handed down the decision on Friday, saying there was a clear public interest in allowing the protest to proceed.
“The march at this location is motivated by the belief that the horror and urgency of the situation in Gaza demands an urgent and extraordinary response from the people of the world.” She added: “The evidence indicates there is significant support for the march,” she said in her judgement.
Police had previously rejected the application for the march, citing a lack of preparation time and safety risks, including the possibility of a crowd crush and major traffic gridlock.
But the court found that public inconvenience alone wasn’t a valid reason to shut down the demonstration, with Rigg stating: “If matters such as this were to be determinative, no assembly involving inconvenience would be permitted.”
The court's ruling grants demonstrator's protection from being charged under the Summary Offences Act, including for obstructing traffic. However, police will still have powers to address any illegal behaviour on the day.
Mouth Wrinkles InfoIf You Have Mouth Wrinkles, Add 3 Drops Of This And Wait 30 Seconds
Brain Fog, Memory loss
Murray Bridge: Adults Over 50 With Brain Fog. Attention
by Taboola
Protesters will be expected to comply with directions, and police can still act against antisocial conduct, violence, or the display of prohibited symbols.
Justice Rigg said the demonstration was likely to cause disruption but emphasised that peaceful protest in response to global humanitarian crises carries high democratic value.
‘Obnoxious’ pro-Palestinian activists on Harbour Bridge chant for the destruction of Israel
Executive Council of Australian Jewry Alex Ryvchin says the pro-Palestinian protestors on Sydney’s...
more
She rejected suggestions her decision would enable violence or hinder emergency services, stating it “does not condone any antisocial behaviour or violence at the demonstration or ambulances not getting to hospital on time”.
Police Minister Yasmin Catley confirmed the government accepted the court’s decision and urged the public to avoid the CBD during the protest. “Police, we believe, will be able to handle the protest on the bridge tomorrow, so long as people are peaceful, that they listen to what the police ask them to do,” she said. “But make no mistake, there is going to be massive, massive disruption. So our message is, avoid the city if you can.”
The ruling has sparked political backlash, with NSW Premier Chris Minns previously voicing his opposition to the event and warning against allowing the city to “descend into chaos”.
Despite this, at least five Labor MPs, Stephen Lawrence, Sarah Kaine, Anthony D’Adam, Lynda Voltz, and Cameron Murphy, signed an open letter on Thursday night calling on the government to support “a safe and orderly event” on Sunday.
Palestine Action Group, which is organising the march, had already made it clear the protest would go ahead regardless of the court’s decision.
A separate counter-protest, organised by the Christian group Never Again is Now, was denied legal protections due to its late application. The group had planned to rally near the Sydney Harbour Tunnel.
Justice Rigg ruled that police would retain the power to move the group on, or arrest participants if necessary.
Chris Minns under scrutiny for his stance on pro-Palestinian protest on Harbour Bridge
Some members of the NSW government are accusing NSW Premier Chris Minns of overstepping his...
more
There is no explicit right to protest in NSW law, but the High Court has recognised an implied right to freedom of political communication under the Australian Constitution.
This ruling means that protests cannot be banned outright, even when disruptive, provided organisers follow the legal process.
Watch live breaking news on SkyNews.com.au
Access four live news channels featuring award-winning journalists and insights from the biggest names in opinion. Available to stream on mobile, tablet and compatible Smart TV with a SkyNews.com.au Streaming Subscription. Already subscribed? Watch here.
T&Cs apply. Content accessible in Australia only. Available on compatible Smart TVs only.
Sunday’s march will proceed with traffic and transport disruptions expected across the city.
Police have urged participants to follow instructions closely, and the Human Rights Law Centre has reminded protesters that authorisation does not give them licence to act unlawfully.
Join the conversation (1133 Comments)
No comments:
Post a Comment