Saturday, October 12, 2024

Connie Chung on Her Historic Career, Combating Sexism and Generation Con...






0:02 / 18:05


Connie Chung on Her Historic Career, Combating Sexism and Generation Connie | Amanpour and Company

Amanpour and Company
427K subscribers

4,481 views  Oct 9, 2024  #amanpourpbs

Connie Chung was a trailblazer in the field of television news. 
She was the first Asian-American woman -- and among the first women -- ever to anchor a major network newscast. 
Chung's new memoir "Connie" tells of her adventures in breaking down the gender barrier in a male-dominated industry. 
Chung joins Walter Isaacson to share the story of her career.

Originally aired on October 8, 2024

===
Transcript


Search in video
=====
and we turn now from that female Pioneer
to another a Trailblazer in television
news Connie Chong was one of the first
women and the first Asian-American woman
to Anchor a major Network newscast 

her
new Memoir Connie tells the tale of how
she broke down gender barriers in a male
dominated industry and she's joining
Walter Isaacson to share that story


thank you chrisan and Connie Jung

welcome to the show thank you Walter
happy to be with you 
===
your book is about
breaking gender barriers in part and uh
one of the interesting things is the
first chapter called male envy and you
said something very interesting 

realized I could be the son my parents
desperately wanted 
tell me about that 
well it it's true Walter. um I I know that my father had uh written me a
letter when I was in in the news business already and he said maybe you
can carry on the name CH the way Sons do. and I suddenly realized because they had lost three boys as infants that they desperately wanted a son so I thought I
would solidify that name in history the way males carry on the last name of the
the family name in perpetuity 
I took it seriously and I took the whole male thing seriously it's why I
is male Envy
 I envy what men could do in any Corporation in any business 
they could command respect just by virtue of being a man and I wanted to gain that kind of respect automatically you know 

when you say you were both a woman and Chinese in the book you refer to that as a twofer was that both a good thing and
a bad thing 

yes it was I it was primarily for me it was a a woman's battle because
um women were just not actually not not acceptable we were um we were very much forced upon corporations upon upon news 
organizations to be hired thanks to the civil rights law of 1964 and also because of um lawsuits that seem to be uh creeping on to the corporate uh landscape and unfortunately for the corporations they had to cough up um jobs for women um minorities were strong but it was primarily black groups that were pushing hard 

Asian groups have never bit on the map for um aggressive equality how did this affect the way you presented yourself on TV 
you say in the book I became aggressive tough body and extremely competitive

 yes I look like a Lotus Blossom you're right but I talk like a sailor
 it was just my way of creating an armor because my Approach was simply that um I grew up a very very shy demor Chinese uh little girl 
and in school I kind of sought Student Government positions and that
sort of gave gave me the the courage to stand up and speak for myself well when
I got into the news business and realized what a an aggressive business
it was that reporters had to step out of their normal lanes and um just uh uh
engage in behavior that probably wasn't something their mother wanted them to do
and so I I took that on but I took pages from the mail Playbook I
 I knew that I needed to walk into a room and own it
knew that I needed to be strong and aggressive and so I did that but in the
process I also developed a potty mouth and I'm not proud of it

but it was my I don't know it was a
funny thing I just felt like if I could
talk trash the way the men talked trash
then um maybe I could be one of the boys
one of the uh scenes early on in that
1972 the famous mcover campaign 

Timothy Krauss does the boys on the bus you're
the one who isn't the boy and you don't
hang around the bar with everybody else
at the Wayfair hotel until you realize
you have to change the way you act

tell me about that 

well I was as as Tim Timothy Krauss said in his book that I
was always in my room um tucked into bed and you know Walter 
would call the uh it was way before cell
phones way before we could get news
automatically just by tapping our little
phone um I would call first thing in the
morning I'd call the overnight desk at
CBS News in Washington and I'd say what
happened anything happened overnight any
stories break in the morning what's in
the Washington Post what's in the New
York Times what's in the Boston Globe
and LA Times and
he was reading the the wires the wire
Services apup UPI and reiders and he
could tell me about any story that had
occurred overnight I would be poised to
stick a microphone in in George McGovern's face the Democratic
presidential candidate in 1972 And I would question him about it
and all the blur eyed reporters who had
been at the bar all night um were just
listening because they knew it might be
the story of the day when I realized that those boys in
the in the bar were breaking stories 

thought how did they do that and it
suddenly dawned on me the campaign
workers are spilling the beans in the
bar so I ended my early overnights went
to the bar and tried to drink them under
the table too 

you were very determined and so was your co-anchor at the CBS
Evening News Dan Rather in many ways
you're both aggressive determined
competitive and was it inevitable that
the two of you clashed and tell me the
story of Oklahoma City where it really
came to a head 

yes I I do think it was inevitable that it would Clash into um a
uh a battle royale um what what happened
with okah city was that I happen to be
on the west coast and I learned very
quickly that the bombing in Oklahoma
City had occurred at the Mora building
and um so I called the office in New
York and said do you want me to go
because as reporters as soon as we hear
about a breaking story we we want to go
there we don't run from it uh the CBS U
headquarters in New York sent me to
Oklahoma City at the same time Dan was
on Dan Rather was on vacation in Texas
which is his home and uh it was a time
before cell phones it was very easy to
be out of touch U and uh they tried to
call him but he or contact him and they
could not get to him um so there I was I
was the first one on the ground uh in
Oklahoma City they had sent a reporter
from New York named Scott pilly we were
the first ones on the ground we not only
broke into uh regular programming to
report about the horrific bombing U
caused by Timothy McVey but I was the
only uh Soul anchor uh of the big three
ABC NBC and CBS to be anchoring that
night from the scene CBS was very proud
that we were so quick so fast their
brother was not happy because he felt
that he had been on every big breaking
story for years I had no idea that all
this drama was going on when I came back
to New York uh two days later after
anchoring and doing Special reports in
Oklahoma City I I discovered a a very
bad scene that Dan was in fact Furious
that he had not been sent and in fact in
fact I had been sent but there had been
a pattern Walter for um over the the
period of two years that I was uh
co-anchoring that anytime I went out and
covered a story Dan was not happy about
it and wanted wanted to cover that story
too
ultimately Dan told me that I needed to
stay in the studio and read the
teleprompter and not go out on stories
it was I I to me it sounded like stay in
the kitchen and stay you know stay home
it was uh where you where you women
belong I I may be taking it to an
extreme but it was just to read the
telepromter don't don't try and be uh
get out in the field 

when you move to
ABC News there are two other great women
Stars barara Walters and Diane Sawyer
and you say you saw them with you as a
powerful trium veret I envisioned we
would be a Sisterhood taking on the boys
club I foolishly believed that women
would be my comrades what happened and
why Barbara and Diane were in a battle
competing for um interviews uh that were
every I mean like movie stars the get of
the day whatever story is a big story
they were both going after it and at ABC
had I known if management had told me
that I could not pursue stories that I
wanted to pursue uh even if Barbara and
Diane were pursuing them I would not
have gone there in fact I would if
Barbara and Diane were competing for an
interviewer or for a story I could not
go after it it was the most bizarre uh
there were bizarre rules
but in many ways I thought they would
welcome me so that we could gang up and
fight the boys but it was not the case
in fact uh Barbara and Diane kind of
were trying to recruit me so that I
could um battle with the other one um so
it was a peculiar setup but I think I
figured out what it was all about women
then and and uh and even before then
were only allowed a tiny sliver of the
big pie that uh consisted mostly of men
and so since we had to share that tiny
sliver of the pie Barbara and Diane were
battling for the top the biggest portion
of that pie and I just didn't fit in so
I backed off I didn't I didn't want to
be part of that you write that
television news devolved in the 1990s
and one of the themes in your book is
this tabloidization of news and you were
kind of a part of that whether it be OJ
Simpson or Tanya Harding and Nancy
carrian tell me why did it devolve and
what did you feel about that sort of
tabloid culture hitting the national
news the problem that caused um the news
to television news to devolve and
actually newspapers and print as well
was the fact that particularly in
television the three networks ABC NBC
and CBS were taken over by uh companies
that no longer believed in the value of
um journalism what happened was they
wanted to make money consequently each
of the networks wanted to uh get
uh viewers into the tent and the way to
get viewers into the tent was to do pop
culture interviews with movie stars um
interviews with uh someone who suddenly
announced um something that everybody
wanted to know about but it may not be a
Savory subject so that suddenly we found
ourselves in this taid mil in which I I
found that the men would not try and get
these interviews I then was asked not
asked but told that um Dan Rather would
not touch the OJ Simpson story that um
the 60 Minutes people would not touch it
the management told me that I needed to
go after an OJ character because Barbara
Walters was getting this Diane Sor was
getting that and I thought so what
I don't think we should touch the story
either and they said but nobody else
will at CBS you have to do it in the
1990s you interviewed Donald Trump do
you think that the tabloidization and
reality TV infection of news has brought
us characters like Donald Trump to the
four you're right I interviewed him very
reluctantly This was um a tabloid King
he he was touting
his uh real estate uh long before he
decided to run for president and I was
doing a magazine program I was the only
correspondent on it and the executive
producer said we have an interview with
Donald Trump and I I had been traveling
all over the country all week long and
only had one day at home when I would
tape the program and do the Sunday news
and I said I don't want to interview him
why are we interviewing him he's just a
tabloid bloviator and um he he said look
we have to fill the program I said but
but why with that why don't we fill it
with something else and he said it's
easy please go do it he's already agreed
and there I was um at the time I I
didn't see the value of it but but once
again they said well Barbara Walters
interviewed her him why don't you you
you know and I just didn't I I didn't
enjoy graveling for these sort of
celebrity interviews I and neither did
the men the men thought it was uh
beneath them 

tell me about generation Connie 

it was the most wonderful Revelation for me that I ever could have
imagined a young woman named Connie
Wong called emailed me and she told me
that um I she was named after me and I
couldn't believe it so I talked to her
on the phone and she found yes she said
she had uh her parents had asked her
what name would you like to have you you
have to have an American name and she
knew only what she saw on television she
said Connie or ELO
and thankfully they chose Connie um UC
Berkeley and she was in the cafeteria
and someone said Connie Connie Wong and
she turned around because there's so
many Asians at UC Berkeley half the
cafeteria turned around she discovered
the phenomenon of the generation of
conies uh she wrote it for the Sunday
New York Times um uh opinion section and
it was the most beautifully written
story of how Asian parents named their
baby daughters Connie after me I
couldn't imagine I had no no idea that
this was going on I was just doing my
job Walter I was going day by day trying
to climb my way up the ladder and I had
no idea who was on the other side of the
camera
watching but I came to the Stark
realization that my husband was right he
said I was the Jackie Robinson of uh
news and and now I I think I finally can
get my arms around the idea and kind of
believe that my husband was right for
the first
time cotti Jung thank you so much for
joining us thank you Walter
[Music]
[Music]


===

Connie Chung

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Connie Chung
Chung in 2008
Born
Constance Yu-Hwa Chung

August 20, 1946 (age 78)
EducationUniversity of Maryland, College Park (BA)
Occupation(s)television news anchor, reporter, journalist
Years active1972–present
Spouse
 
(m. 1984)
Children1
Connie Chung
Chinese宗毓華
Transcriptions

Constance Yu-Hwa Chung (born August 20, 1946) is an American journalist who has been a news anchor and reporter for the U.S. television news networks ABCCBSNBCCNN, and MSNBC. Some of her more famous interview subjects include Claus von Bülow and U.S. representative Gary Condit, whom Chung interviewed first after the Chandra Levy disappearance,[1] and basketball legend Magic Johnson after he went public about being HIV-positive. In 1993, she became the second woman to co-anchor a network newscast as part of CBS Evening News.

Early life and education

[edit]
Chung in 1964

The youngest of ten children, Chung was born in Washington, D.C., less than a year after her family emigrated from China and was raised in Washington, D.C.[2] Her father, William Ling Chung, was an intelligence officer in the Chinese Nationalist Government and five of her siblings died during wartime.[3] She was named after singer and actress Constance Moore.[4]

Chung attended Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, Maryland.[5] In 1969, she graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a degree in journalism.[6]

Career

[edit]

Early career

[edit]

Chung was a Washington, D.C.-based correspondent for the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite in the early 1970s during the Watergate political scandal. Chung left to anchor evening newscasts for KNXT, a CBS owned and operated station in Los Angeles (now KCBS-TV). Her co-anchors at KNXT included Joe BentiBrent Musburger and Jess Marlow.[7] The Los Angeles Times TV columnist said Chung "helped give Channel 2 an agreeable, respectable, middle-road identity".[8] Chung also anchored CBS's primetime news updates (CBS Newsbreak) for West Coast stations from the KNXT studios at Columbia Square during her tenure there.

In early 2018, Chung was asked if she was sexually harassed in her career. She replied, "Oh, yeah! Oh, sure. Yeah. Every day. I mean, a lot. Especially when I started out".[9] Later that year, following Christine Blasey Ford's testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee alleging she was sexually assaulted by Brett Kavanaugh, Chung wrote an open letter to Blasey-Ford. Chung said she was assaulted in college by the doctor who delivered her, during an appointment when she approached him for birth control.[10]

NBC

[edit]

In 1983, Chung returned to network news as anchor of NBC's new early program, NBC News at Sunrise, which was scheduled as the lead-in to the Today program. She was also anchor of the Saturday edition of NBC Nightly News and filled in for Tom Brokaw on weeknights. NBC also created two newsmagazines, American Almanac and 1986, which she co-hosted with Roger Mudd.

CBS

[edit]

In 1989, Chung returned to CBS to host Saturday Night with Connie Chung (later renamed Face to Face with Connie Chung) (1989–90) and anchor CBS Sunday Evening News (1989–1993). The former show was also planned to move to Mondays, but Chung's increasing health commitments and pregnancy led to the show being replaced by The Trials of Rosie O'Neill.[11] On June 1, 1993, she became the second woman (after Barbara Walters with ABC in 1976) to co-anchor a major network's national weekday news broadcast.[12][a] While hosting the CBS Evening News, Chung also hosted a side project on CBS, Eye to Eye with Connie Chung. After her co-anchoring duties with Dan Rather ended in 1995, Chung left CBS. She eventually jumped to ABC News, where she co-hosted the Monday edition of 20/20 with Charles Gibson and began independent interviews.

Kathleen Gingrich interview

[edit]

In an interview by Chung on Eye to Eye with Kathleen Gingrich on January 5, 1995, (mother of Republican politician Newt Gingrich), Mrs. Gingrich said she could not say what her son thought about First Lady Hillary Clinton on the air. Chung asked Mrs. Gingrich to "just whisper it to me, just between you and me"; Mrs. Gingrich's microphone volume was turned up as she replied, "He thinks she's a bitch".[14] Many people interpreted Chung's suggestion to Mrs. Gingrich that she whisper her response as a promise that it would be off the record. Bill Carter for The New York Times reported, "Ms. Chung had become the object of some of the most ferocious criticism, justified or not, ever directed at any network anchor as a result of her now infamous interview with Speaker Newt Gingrich's mother, Kathleen".[15] The interview was parodied on Saturday Night Live.[16]

Oklahoma City bombing interview

[edit]

A few months later, in the wake of the April 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, Chung was widely criticized for sarcasm as she asked an Oklahoma City Fire Department spokesman, "Can the Oklahoma City Fire Department handle this?" Many Oklahomans felt the question was insensitive to the situation. A few women created "Bite Me, Connie Chung" shirts in response to the interview.[17] Thousands of viewers in Oklahoma and elsewhere called and wrote letters of protest over the tone of the questions.[18] Moreover, co-anchor Dan Rather was irate that Chung was sent from New York to the assignment while he was already in nearby Texas.[19] Consequently, after public outcry, and Rather's complaints, Chung left the network after being removed as co-anchor of CBS Evening News.

ABC

[edit]

In 1997, Chung moved to ABC News as a reporter on 20/20 and cohost of the Monday edition of the program alongside Charles Gibson. In 2001, she conducted an interview with Gary Condit on Primetime Thursday, focusing on his relationship with murdered Washington, D.C., intern Chandra Levy.

She was a guest host of the morning program Good Morning America. After short-lived host Lisa McRee left the program, Chung declined to take over on a permanent basis. She also was on ABC 2000 Today in Las Vegas.

CNN

[edit]

Chung, for a short time, hosted her own show on CNN titled Connie Chung Tonight, for which she was paid $2 million per year. Though her arrival at CNN was heavily hyped by the network, her show was panned by critics. CNN changed her show from live to tape-delay to improve its continuity. Although it performed moderately well in the ratings (a 500,000 increase in viewers), her show was suspended once the 2003 Iraq War began. During the war, she was reduced to reading hourly headlines. Once CNN resumed regular programming, Chung requested that CNN resume broadcasting her show as soon as possible. The network responded by cancelling it, even though her contract had not yet expired. In an interview, CNN founder Ted Turner called the show "just awful".[20]

Martina Navratilova interview

[edit]

In July 2002, Chung interviewed tennis player Martina Navratilova, who at that time had been a naturalized U.S. citizen for more than 20 years, about her recent criticisms of the U.S. political system. Chung labeled these criticisms "un-American" and "unpatriotic" and suggested Navratilova should "go back to Czechoslovakia" (which had ceased to be a united nation nine years earlier) rather than use her celebrity status to gain a platform for her complaints. When Navratilova asked why it was unpatriotic to speak out, Chung replied, "Well, you know the old line, love it or leave it".[21]

MSNBC

[edit]

In January 2006, Chung and Maury Povich began hosting a show titled Weekends with Maury and Connie on MSNBC. It was Chung's first appearance as a television host since 2003. The show was canceled shortly thereafter; in its final episode that aired June 17, 2006, Chung—dressed in a white evening gown and dancing on top of a black piano—sang a parody to the tune of "Thanks for the Memory". Video clips of the off-key farewell performance circulated on internet video sites. Chung commented, "All I want to be sure of is that viewers understood it was a giant self-parody. If anyone took it seriously, they really need to get a life".[22]

Interview style

[edit]

Chung's interviews were largely gentle, but often they were punctuated by a rapid-fire barrage of sharp questions. Consequently, her interviews were often used as a public relations move by those looking to overcome scandal or controversy. Some of her more famous interview subjects include Claus von Bülow and U.S. representative Gary Condit, whom Chung interviewed first after the Chandra Levy disappearance.[1]

Teaching

[edit]

Chung accepted a teaching fellowship at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.[23] While at Harvard, she wrote a discussion paper titled The Business of Getting "The Get": Nailing an Exclusive Interview in Prime Time.[24][25]

Personal life

[edit]

Chung has been married to talk show host Maury Povich since 1984. They have one son, Matthew Jay Povich, whom they adopted on June 20, 1995.[26]

On September 17, 2024, Chung released a memoir, Connie.[27]

Impact

[edit]

In her early career, Chung was only the second woman and the first Asian to anchor a major nightly news program in the U.S. As such, for the growing number of new Chinese immigrants to the U.S. from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, she was a rare, nationally visible representative. Many of these immigrant families, wanting their daughters to achieve and succeed, named their girls Connie after the one woman on mainstream media who could be seen as a role model for them.[4]

Career timeline

[edit]

Book

[edit]

See also

[edit]

Explanatory notes

[edit]
  1. ^ Katie Couric would become the first woman to serve as the sole anchor of a major network's national weekday newscast in 2006, also at CBS.[13]

References

[edit]
  1. Jump up to:a b [1] Archived July 16, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
  2. ^ "Connie Chung"makers.com. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
  3. ^ NPR Staff (June 8, 2011). "Connie Chung: On News, Family, Fighting With Humor". wBur. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
  4. Jump up to:a b Wang, Connie (May 11, 2023). "Opinion | Why Are There So Many Asian American Women Named Connie?"The New York TimesISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 11, 2023.
  5. ^ Glover, Mary Clare (November 12, 2009). "New Neighbors: Povich and Chung Are Moving Back to Washington"Washingtonian. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
  6. ^ Brennan, Patricia (June 13, 1993). "Busy Connie Chung Focuses on CBS's 'Eye to Eye'"The Washington Post. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
  7. ^ KNXT Klein& Chung Benti News Promos 1977, March 18, 2017, retrieved May 11, 2023
  8. ^ Du Brow, Rick (January 25, 1992). "20 Years of Turmoil Take a Toll at KCBS News"Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 11, 2023.
  9. ^ "Connie Chung says she was sexually harassed 'every day' as she reacts to Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose scandals". AOL.com. February 9, 2018.
  10. ^ Lynch Baldwin, Sarah (October 3, 2018). "Connie Chung says she was sexually assaulted by doctor who delivered her"CBS News.
  11. ^ Rosenfeld, Megan (July 31, 1990). "A PREGNANT PAUSE FOR CHUNG?"Washington PostISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved November 28, 2023.
  12. ^ Collins, Gail (May 21, 2011). "Opinion | Katie Couric Moves On (Published 2011)"The New York TimesISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved November 16, 2020.
  13. ^ Sheila Weller, The News Sorority: Diane Sawyer, Katie Couric, Christiane Amanpour--and the (ongoing, Imperfect, Complicated) Triumph of Women in TV News (2015) pp. 93–110.
  14. ^ Newt Gingrich: Hillary "She's A Bitch" on YouTube
  15. ^ Carter, Bill (May 22, 1995). "The Empty Chair"The New York Times.
  16. ^ "SNL Transcripts: Jeff Daniels: 01/14/95"jt.org. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
  17. ^ [2]Connie Chung Rescuer Remark
  18. ^ [3]Connie Chung Upsets Students in El Reno
  19. ^ [4]CBS Anchor Steams on Sidelines/Rather Out of Bombing Story
  20. ^ "Studio Briefing February 10, 2003"IMDb.
  21. ^ "Navratilova Sets the Record Straight"-Transcript, Connie Chung Tonight, (CNN), Aired July 17, 2002
  22. ^ Clark, Amy (June 20, 2006). "Connie Chung's Serenade Gag a Web Hit"CBS News. CBS/Associated Press.
  23. ^ "Connie Chung: A Newswoman Who's Making News". Archived from the original on December 10, 2006. Retrieved November 23, 2006.
  24. ^ "Research & Publications – Shorenstein Center"harvard.edu. Retrieved January 28, 2017.
  25. ^ Connie Chung, The Business of Getting "The Get": Nailing an Exclusive Interview in Prime Time April, 1998. D-28.
  26. ^ Waldman, Allison J. (September 30, 2007). "Maury Povich Through the Years"TV Week. Archived from the original on December 8, 2008. Retrieved August 25, 2008.
  27. ^ Tagen-Dye, Carly (September 17, 2024). "In New Book, Connie Chung is Taking on an Important Story: Her Own"PeopleArchived from the original on September 17, 2024.
  28. ^ "Connie Chung"Biography.com. March 30, 2021.
  29. Jump up to:a b c d e f g h Connie Chung at IMDb
[edit]








No comments:

Post a Comment